• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Continental Rabbit looking into getting one but need some advice first please.

twisted_angel

Warren Scout
Continental Rabbit looking into getting one but need some advice first please.

Hello

I have been reading and researching about continental rabbits for a while now (this is how i found this forum).

I feel we could give a home for one but i do want to check with some experienced peeps before commiting to such a big (literally ) commitment.

My husband has designed and is in the process of making a hutch with run. It will be 6 1/2 feet long 2 1/2 feets deep and 4 feet high. It will be made with fox proof wire. it will also be about 6 - 10 inches off the ground. He was going to use thick plywoood for the bottom as we read wire can harm their feet. Can i ask what stain or wood protector would be safe to use to treat the wood on the outside of the hutch? Does the measuremtents etc sound ok? This will be placed outdoor in the spring and summer months and into a wooden shed for the Autumn and Winter months. The rabbit will also have the run of our garden too. It is safe (no plants only lawn) and is fully enclosed.

I have looked into pet carriers for visits to the vets and will get a dog carrier. Would be this be suitable?

I have list of food, bedding food toys etc Where would i get safe fruit branches from?

What water bottles would you recomend and where do i get the sleeves from for water to bottle to stop freezing in the winter and keep cool in the summer.

I know about the Myxomatosis and VHD innoculations.

I have arranged for my sister to house sit when we are away on hols as i should imagine it would be difficult to find a rabbit boarding for Conti's.

Is there anything else i could of missed. I am a stay at home mum so do have time to commit to a bunny and am home most days all day (sadly ).

Thank you for any advice or tips you could give me.

Also i had in my head to get 1 but someone said to be Rabbits are best kept in pairs so would 2 females or 1 male 1 female be better and does having them in pairs still go for continentals. If so will i need to extend the the hutch/run already??

Personally if I was getting a Conti I would want a bigger hutch (for even just 1 bunny) plus attached aviary, instead of a run. Can you give them the shed permenantly, this tends to be better for giants otherwise I would suggest a 8ftx3ft hutch for a pair:) Free run of the garden isnt wise unless permenantly supervised, foxes and cats can be dangerous animals, even to giant rabbits :(

Branches can be chopped down from friends and families trees or you could post of preloved, freecycle ect asking for branches :) you want branches from trees like apple and pear (no one stoned fruit like cherries and plums)

Bunnies in pairs are best yes, you will need to keep them seperate until they have both been neutered, male bunnies can be done from 4 months and females from 6, not sure if this is the same from giant breeds

I would go for BIIIG dog bowls rather than bottles for water :)

You seem to of done LOTS of research well done :)

Thank you for the help Georgypudding.

I have got a wooden shed spare. It is 6 x 4 and has a similar space next to it i could do as a attached run with maybe a cat flap or stable door or something so they can come and go as they please Would it matter if the run was on slabs though? Think i will look into this a bit more i think as i want to do things properly. Might have a spare 6 1/2 ft hutch - my husband will be pleased :? I had read a few breeders pages recommending the min 6ft x 2ft. Most the breeders pages i have seen have 1 conti on its own per hutch so it never occured to me to have a pair.

Sorry to ask silly question but can rabbits drink ok from a bowl?

Hmmm my hack down my neighbour apple tree when he is not looking :lol:

Thank you again.

Thank you for the help Georgypudding.

I have got a wooden shed spare. It is 6 x 4 and has a similar space next to it i could do as a attached run with maybe a cat flap or stable door or something so they can come and go as they please Would it matter if the run was on slabs though? Think i will look into this a bit more i think as i want to do things properly. Might have a spare 6 1/2 ft hutch - my husband will be pleased :? I had read a few breeders pages recommending the min 6ft x 2ft. Most the breeders pages i have seen have 1 conti on its own per hutch so it never occured to me to have a pair.

Sorry to ask silly question but can rabbits drink ok from a bowl?

Hmmm my hack down my neighbour apple tree when he is not looking :lol:

Thank you again.

yes they can drink from a bowl. :) I'm emma who spoke to you on another forum by the way. :) It would be great if you could get a shed. :D

hi i would say bowls are best for conti as my stan can drink allot i found ceramic one is best as they through them for miles. dont know about hutches as stan lives in the house hope this helps:).

Hiya, its great that you are doing your research first :D:wave:

Like already said a shed and run would be better for such big bunnies. There is no problem with the run being on slabs and it stops the rabbits digging out or any foxes etc digging in!

Re. Fruit Branches - If you have a friend or relative with apple/pear etc trees could you offer to take the clipping that they have pruned away? You can also buy small twigs from pet shops and 'Fluffers' on here is selling apple twigs with all proceeds going towards a rabbbit rescue.

You are right about company :) Rabbits are best kept in pairs. Neutured male/spayed female pairings tend to work best :)

Lastly, you mentioned seeing breeders? Have you considered adopting a already bonded pair from a rescue? The bunnies will already be neutured and bonded, the rescue can give you plenty advice and info on the bunnies you adopt and rabbit care in general.
Hope this has helped :wave:

I have a pair of contis (m/f) that have a 10 x 6 shed with a permanent run, but also have free range time in the garden.

If yours isn't going to be a house bun (and they make great house buns!) then it would be far kinder to have a pair.

My conti, Hera, is nearly 4ft long lying down full stretch, so you need the maximum amount of space possible for them. They need to build up good muscle tone to support their long spines, by being able to move freely .

I have a pair of tiny nethie size rabbits living in a 6x2x2 with a 6x4, and I think that is only just about big enough for them, and they're a seventh of the size of a conti!

Any enclosure or run needs to be on slabs or concrete to ensure it is fox proof, and must have a roof too.

Thank you.

I am def going to rethink the hutch and go for the shed especially as i think it would be kinder to have a pair. We have a 6 x 4 wooden shed i could use with the same area again for a run and i am hoping that will be big enough??? :?

They will also have the run of the grass area of my garden which is huge. It is has no plants it is just lawn. The good bit is that there is a 4ft fence with gate between the lawn and patio and conservatory. I spend most my spring and summer days in the garden with our children so i will be able to watch the bunnies if they are having the run of the garden.

Thank you all for the advice it does help.

You'll probably find a shed easier for you as well. Hutches are a real pain to clean, back-breaking. I had a hutch for about a year and would never get one again. I would always got for a shed now.

Back