• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting a bunny buddy

o-Chloe-o

Mama Doe
Hi everyone!

I posted a similar thread before this one but no responses so I will ask fewer questions this time ;)

Is the best option for a pair to have one neutered male and one spayed female together?
Should I choose a rabbit of a similar size as my bun - what i mean is if I get a smaller one will my bunny bully it and if I get a bigger one will she be bullied?

Thanks all! :D

Certainly no expert but am sure male/female is better and easiest option, spayed and neutered of course. Dont think size matters but am sure someone more knowledgeable will reply.

the easiest way would be to ask for help from a rescue near to you and take you bun along so he/she can choose a partner. :)
where abouts are you then someone might know of a rescue near to you. :)

Neutered male / neutered female is the most reliable bonding and usually the easiest of them all to do.

Size wise will make no difference to how they get along. With regard to bullying this is more related to their personality rather than anything else.

I would advise going to a rescue and getting them to help you find a partner, that way you can have help with bonding and also back up if you have problems when you get home. If the bonding does not work they will assist you if ensuring that your rabbit has a suitable partner rather than you end up with 2 separate buns.

Neutered buck/spayed doe bondings are usually the strongest, in unrelated rabbits. It's important to wait 6 weeks after their operations before introducing rabbits though, to ensure their hormones have died down completely. Do you have any rabbit rescues near you? As already mentioned it's best if you can take your bun along to 'date' other buns (under the supervision of an experienced hoomin!) as rabbits are more likely to stay bonded if they choose their own partners. Age and size don't matter too much, although I think buns or similar age and size are more likely to enjoy each others company.

Thanks guys :) I will seriously consider a friend for her and when I do ill be sure to go to a rescue near me (Im in Egham....) and let her do some dating:love: In light of her recent spay ill wait for 6 weeks at least but I am also in the process of desigining/building a custom hutch so i need to wait until then anyway and I will ensure its big enough for at least two large buns! Im also growing a lawn specifically for my rabbit too :) hehe! She certainly seems happy enough at the moment anyway and gets plenty of attention all day and night (my bf is home all day while i work:?) x

Back