• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how do you keep your buns cool in the summer?

it's boiling here today, and valentino is panting like madddd..

i was wondering how you guys keep your buns cool when its hot?

ive taken the fleece away so they have to cool lamanate tiles to lie on, they have plenty of cold fresh water...

:)

Bunny Cool Packs that you put in the freezer and bottles as Graham said.

Wet a towel in cold water and hang it near hutch perhaps on the back of a chair.

Provide shade - I peg sheets, old duvet covers or similar to make "tents" or perhaps a garden parasol.

You can spray or wet concrete/paio slabs if you have them around the hutch too.

Roll on summer :D much prefer this to the winter problems!

Scratch and Newton Ice Pods (or empty bottle filled with water and frozen)

Damp towels hung on runs - as the sun dries the towel the moisture from the towel cools the air around it.

Extra water bowls - My lop like to bath her ears in hers if she gets hot.

Silver sun shades - like those for car windscreens. You can get them for about £1 in cheap shops.

Outside bunnies...garden umbrellas propped up by their runs - good amount of shade, extra free range time in the day so they could find cool ground, and lots more water.

If they can't free range, might be an idea to give them a digging box. Mine used to dig themselves little pits in the summer to lie in, I think it was because the soil under the top layer was cooler.

:wave:

Just get a bottle of water and freeze it. When its frozen, cover it with a thin towel and let them lie agains it :) fans or a breze will do no good because they don't sweat so can't feel the cooling effect of water evaporating in the breese that we can feel :p Don't put ice cubes in the water as it will hurt their teeth and also gives them stomach cramps if they go from being warm inside to suddenly very cool. I also use tiels with the lino because the lino heats up quicker than tiels. With tiels, their body hear travils through it alot quicker so it feels alot more cooler :) oh and the obv. shade :wave: x

Back