• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what supplies for a cheap run ?

mystic.bertie

Young Bun
my buns are indoors just now but they both have been outdors with their previous owner.

im looking to build a run as cheaply as possible, im not working so skint lol, i am good at diy so dont mind something challenging although there is not much to building one, i l like the look of the fine metal mesh, and wooden frame, is this a cheap way to build one and where do you get that stuff from?

i already have an outdoor hutch seen below so suggestions welcome

IMAG0021 by mystic.bertie, on Flickr

Depends, what size area do you have available for the run? It might be cheaper to knock one together as you say, or maybe something like preloved, gumtree, etc.

Depends, what size area do you have available for the run? It might be cheaper to knock one together as you say, or maybe something like preloved, gumtree, etc.

there is loadsa space in the garden so maybe build one around 6' x 3' roughly.

is muck (bare grass) areas ok with some grass areas ?

Is the hutch as a shelter or are they going to be moving outdoors? If so, they will need a much larger hutch I'm afraid.

As for runs, well you can find ones on ebay for not too high a price...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rabbit-Run-6f...all_Animals&hash=item3f08484d60#ht_500wt_1156

That is an excellent price, and the size you would need for two bunnies.

I have that exact run bought from that exact seller! It is really sturdy and well made. My two have had it for a year. Have just attached it to the shed so no longer free standing. It is a brilliant price for a wooden run!

Is the hutch as a shelter or are they going to be moving outdoors? If so, they will need a much larger hutch I'm afraid.

As for runs, well you can find ones on ebay for not too high a price...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rabbit-Run-6f...all_Animals&hash=item3f08484d60#ht_500wt_1156

That is an excellent price, and the size you would need for two bunnies.

my intention is to use the hutch as a shelter but they wont be permanently outdoors, more than likely put them out when its dry or nice weather. the hutch will always be open so they have the room to run around the run.

i cant even afford that as good as a price it is, i can build it if i can get the materials.

my intention is to use the hutch as a shelter but they wont be permanently outdoors, more than likely put them out when its dry or nice weather. the hutch will always be open so they have the room to run around the run.

i cant even afford that as good as a price it is, i can build it if i can get the materials.

Ah I see, it would make a good shelter! You could have a look on Freecycle maybe, there's sometimes runs on there, or Gumtree, Preloved etc, for the materials?

Look on your local Gumtree or Netmums, they often have people selling or giving away. Someone said that the local tip often has hutches etc. given in and they sell them on for about a fiver. HTH

Make lots of 6ft x 3ft panels with a sturdy batton timber with 1 support down the middle. Use mesh that is 19guage galvanised wire mesh with 1/2 inch x 1inch holes. Screw them together to form a 6ft x 6ft run.

i have been giving this some thought, im gonna get 10m x 0.6m of 25mm chicken wire off of ebay delivered for £13, or there is the 0.9m stuff for £16, then ill get some timber from the wood merchants and knock something up, ill raise the hutch off the ground to give them more space to run around.

i have been giving this some thought, im gonna get 10m x 0.6m of 25mm chicken wire off of ebay delivered for £13, or there is the 0.9m stuff for £16, then ill get some timber from the wood merchants and knock something up, ill raise the hutch off the ground to give them more space to run around.

I wouldn't use chicken wire. Foxes/dogs and even rabbits can chew through it. You want galvanised wire mesh that is welded at the joins.

Screwfix do quite good prices on mesh, many different thicknesses. They're obviously also well cheap for any other accessories you might need. Good luck :wave:

Screwfix do quite good prices on mesh, many different thicknesses. They're obviously also well cheap for any other accessories you might need. Good luck :wave:

I was going to suggest screwfix, they are at least half the price of B&Q for things like hinges & bolts. I've also found that local hardware stores are cheaper than the big DIY stores for such items.

I've been lucky recently as I've managed to pick up weld mesh half price on clearance days etc (always worth looking out for and stocking up if you can)...

Hannah :)

Back