• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ginger: Sneezing (Possibly FAO Amy104, but for anyone else who cares)

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
I've been trying to catch a video of this (not for personal gratification i hasten to add, but more that i wanted to show Sky-O at the time) and now i finally have one.

Amy: Is this how Bluebell gets?

This is about the 10th or 11th sneezing fit she's had this weekend.

You can see the white snotty discharge by her right nostril, just before she runs off.

It's so distressing to see it happen :cry:

She's now sat in her comfy place, at the top of the stairs and will be there for a good 30-40 minutes before she'll move again. She looks so tired now :(

Aww bless her. One of my foster buns used to sneeze like this, but it was at most 1-2 times a day, and not every day. I never got to the bottom of the cause as he didnt have an RTI.

Hope she recovers from her sneezing fit soon xx

Aww, bless her, it does look distressing. She's a brave girl, but a lucky girl to have found her way into your hearts :love:

Bobbie gets like that. She has permanent damage to her respiratory tract as a result of being housed in a urine soaked cage whilst also being used to breed :cry:

Bobbie gets like that. She has permanent damage to her respiratory tract as a result of being housed in a urine soaked cage whilst also being used to breed :cry:

:(

It wouldnt surprise me if Ginger has damaged respiratory areas either Jane, she's a genetic mess, not as bad as her sibling, Sky-O's Wish, but she's a genetic mess inside and isn't formed correctly.

Bobbie's start to life sounds horrific :cry: I'm so glad she's with you now though :love:

She really roars when she does it sometimes, like somethings scratching up the insides of her :cry:

:( I'm not surprised she's worn out bless her. When Mischa sneezes he kinda sneezes downwards not to the side like that, but with the same rapid fire motion.

When Carlisle had snuffles his were like this. He did a few in a row and his head went to the side as well. He has had two bouts since I got him but at the minute he has been clear for a good few months since well before Christams. Surprisingly he seemed better in the cold rather than when its warm. :?

Yes thats exactly it, awful isn't it. Sometimes he goes on even longer.

She has permanent damage to her respiratory tract as a result of being housed in a urine soaked cage whilst also being used to breed

Jane vet mentioned scarring to me reference Bluebell, if this is the case is the sneezing just something he'll have to put up with forever? Do they get used to it or is it really upseting for them?

aww poor girly :(,

I've seen some of my buns do a sneeze or two when they get hay up their nose, but nothing like this, must be so distressing for her :(,

We use to have a bunny that sneezed like this called Keegan and we had him to the vet's on a number of occasions and on one visit the vet pulled a long piece of hay out of his nose (don't ask me how it had got there):? he was brilliant after but he had over the years dental problems and he started sneezing again and was pretty bad and he use to be worn out with the sneezing. We had all sorts of tests done and x-rays you name it. Keegan had Osteomyelititis in his jaw and we were told that the sneezing was caused by a bug that get's into the bone. I'm sure there will be a name for it but I can't remember as I'm going back about 13 years ago now. Keegan had so many things wrong with him bless him but we think he died after having a heart attack.

eric was like that - but the bouts went on longer:( sometimes so much that as he balanced on his back paws, he fell over:(

Looks so tiring. I don't have any advice just some supportive vibes.

Totally different to how Jenson sneezes, he does little dinky sneezes, sometimes when I put a new handful of hay in, the current lot has some small bits and have made sneeze a couple of times too.

Poor Ginger. It must be very distressing for you and Ginger.

I just looked at another one of your videos of Ginger, she is a really lovely adorable girl.

Awww poor Ginger. :( I've never had a bun that sneezed like that. It must be hard to watch her go through this. xx

Back