• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Questions for Spenser's Big Day on Thursday

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
I'm working a lot Tuesday/Wednesday, so thought I would ask my questions today.:wave: The main one, of course, concerns food. I know I should feed Spenser well before we leave, but timing presents a problem. We have to leave at 8.30am at the latest (probably earlier) and Spenser is very unlikely to have eaten much by then. He usually gets fed about 8am, but I am planning to put his food out earlier and hope that he shifts a decent amount. I'm seriously considering having another try at spring greens and :oops::oops::oops: curly kale as he loses interest in cabbage after the first two leaves. Any views/suggestions appreciated.

I'm working a lot Tuesday/Wednesday, so thought I would ask my questions today.:wave: The main one, of course, concerns food. I know I should feed Spenser well before we leave, but timing presents a problem. We have to leave at 8.30am at the latest (probably earlier) and Spenser is very unlikely to have eaten much by then. He usually gets fed about 8am, but I am planning to put his food out earlier and hope that he shifts a decent amount. I'm seriously considering having another try at spring greens and :oops::oops::oops: curly kale as he loses interest in cabbage after the first two leaves. Any views/suggestions appreciated.

Here we go, be it right or wrong...but knowing bits about Spenser...

Let him stuff himself on everything and anything thats bunny safe.

Give him a buffet of foods. Just throw loads of stuff in his hutch and let him nom at will, at anything he can have.

Give him anything you know he will eat, in large portions, just because of how iffy he is.

My twopence worth...:wave:

Totally agree, both before & immediately after the op let him have whatever he wants and you can get down him (within reason as PL says). It won't matter for that short period of time but it is vital that he has a full tummy :wave:

Totally agree, both before & immediately after the op let him have whatever he wants and you can get down him (within reason as PL says). It won't matter for that short period of time but it is vital that he has a full tummy :wave:

Why is this the case?

Why is this the case?

Because a GA slows/stops the gut and bun has to eat constantly to keep gut ticking over...so if he doesnt eat before, and doesnt eat after, theres a much higher chance of an empty gut, which would be slow/stopped and we all know how much of a horrible issues that Stasis is :(

Let him eat overnight too.Chuck loads in.
Thankfully the op hes having isnt too invasive, so Im hoping he will recover quick.Dear boy.Pass a noserub from me.xx
ETA I think buns are like ferts...short digestive tracts.

I agree - put all his favourite foods in, and give him a crunchie or 2 before you go.

I always sent cruchies with Blackie's packed lunch, along with pellets, his own hay, a mix of forage food, a bit of carrot.

I also sent one of his own blankies along, and his own litter and own litter tray, as he'd refuse to poop in a strange litter tray and save them all til he got home :roll:

Oh dear, I'm getting worried ... Spenser has never been a grazer, although I suppose in a way he is as he takes ages to clear his pellet dish now. I'm sure he would happily graze on fenugreek crunchies and Excel apple snacks. :oops:

Oh dear, I'm getting worried ... Spenser has never been a grazer, although I suppose in a way he is as he takes ages to clear his pellet dish now. I'm sure he would happily graze on fenugreek crunchies and Excel apple snacks. :oops:

Make sure he has some of those in his lunch box, then, especially the crunchies as fenugreek is an appetite stimulant :)

Make sure he has some of those in his lunch box, then, especially the crunchies as fenugreek is an appetite stimulant :)

When my bunnies are away for a night or two at the vets, I pack loads of things for them to eat. I like to think that if they don't fancy their usual food, there might be something in the goody bag which will tempt back their appetite. Most important as we all know.

I also pack some of their toys, a favourite fleece, in fact anything which may over them some comfort and support during their stay.

A little overnight bag, rather like what we would have, just the contents a little different!!:lol:

I have sent Bramble off to the vets today with two tubs of food. He hadn't finished his pellets, so I sent those, as well as a pot of parsnip ( a fav), carrot, kale (another fav), fenugreek crunchie and Excel Apple treats! I think the nurse thought it was rather sweet!

When my bunnies are away for a night or two at the vets, I pack loads of things for them to eat. I like to think that if they don't fancy their usual food, there might be something in the goody bag which will tempt back their appetite. Most important as we all know.

I also pack some of their toys, a favourite fleece, in fact anything which may over them some comfort and support during their stay.

A little overnight bag, rather like what we would have, just the contents a little different!!:lol:

And something for the nurses to laugh at!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I always stick to a normal feeding routine before ops as I feel doing anything different will stress them out which will cause more harm than good. Always send a packed lunch with his favourite bits. Our vets always tend to do rabbits later in the morning to give them a chance to settle and have a good feed before they are operated on :)

I would try to give him a small selection of things to eat before he goes but don't go overboard - if he ends up with an upset tummy from too many fenugreek crunchies for example that'll do more harm than good. ;)

As long as he has eaten something beforehand that's good. :)

Yes I agree with the above, give him some tasty fresh herbs or dried herbs, I've found that dill usually goes down a treat and some dandelion leaves :)

This is grazing :wave: Buns have different habits & ways of eating. Sometimes Bouncer scoffs the lot all in one go, other times it will take him over an hour to finish various bits off.

Please try not to worry Susie. Just do what you usually do with Spenser but prepare a few additional treaty things to go with him + things familiar to him like his blankie etc. As has already been suggested, put some extra pellets in overnight and make sure he has plenty to go at first thing :wave: I think he likes plantain? If so make sure you have a good supply :D

I'm not letting Spenser see that I am worried. :) He is just finishing his breakfast pellets off now that I have softened them. Some rather nice-looking spring greens have been rejected (so far). He'll be going back out to the hutch soon, so maybe the fresh air will liven him up a bit. I have a full bag of plantain waiting in the wings, and more on order.

Back