• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

petplan insurance and dental

beccimarie

Mama Doe
Im slightly annoed as when i took out a policy for poppy on pet plan "covered for life!" they said it would cover everything! yet i have just spoke to a person on the phone and she said she cant "garrentee" ill get a claim back :? whats the point in having insurance then :? iv been paying them the last 2 years and i may aswell have just saved it up..

Im slightly annoed as when i took out a policy for poppy on pet plan "covered for life!" they said it would cover everything! yet i have just spoke to a person on the phone and she said she cant "garrentee" ill get a claim back :? whats the point in having insurance then :? iv been paying them the last 2 years and i may aswell have just saved it up..

Its actually in the T's & C's that clipping and burring isn't covered :(

They don't pay out for what they call routine dental treatment. They should pay out for non-routine treatments though. I still think insurance is well worth it.

its not clipping and burring though :( its abcess removal and x-rays.. i know about paying clipping and burring

If there have been no previous dental problems than you should be fine for claiming.

If there has been any previous dental treatment you would be exempt from anything to do with treating the mouth, tear ducts etc.

If there have been no previous dental problems than you should be fine for claiming.

If there has been any previous dental treatment you would be exempt from anything to do with treating the mouth, tear ducts etc.

In which case, what Blackers says is true.

X-rays and abcess removal i would think is different, unless any 'dental' based issues are in the exclusions area on your policy.

no other issues on dental :) shes only ever been to the vets for her vacc, so im guessing it will be ok.. but i need to ask them if they will pay out again if she gets another abcess.. as its tooth root related, she is covered for life but they may only pay out once for this :(

ps when you phone up they will never 'guarantee' to pay your claim. They will always judge it based on the paperwork when you put in the claim.

Im still undecided on whether im going to take up their quote or not yet :?. £13 a month seems alot. I work in insurance and have done for 7 years so i know the ins and outs of the terms and conditions etc. I do have savings i could go into if Buster ever got ill too so not sure if its really worth it. Let us know if they pay out or not

i too work in insurance and can categorically say to you that no person will guarantee a claim payment to you over the phone without having investigated it first, ie checked out the forms, evidence, treatment information etc to ensure it falls within the policy wording etc. most of the time the person you speak to when you ring is a call centre person and not a qualified claims handler/underwriter etc.

Am sure they are just covering their backs until they are able to look into it properly dont worry x

I checked this carefully when I insured my 2 and the way I understand it is, if the vet deems the work necessary (ie, its not cosmetic :roll:), you have had their teeth checked within the year prior to the claim (usually done when vaccines are given - make sure vet records it in their notes) then you should be covered.

There should be no "exclusions" other than anything pre-existing when the policy is taken out and laid out at that time, in a "covered for life" policy.

I was told by PP that, if in doubt submit a claim and they will look in to it.

I'm not a big fan of insurance for rabbits... :?
I would for a cat or dog I think, but I have savings for my pets and I much prefer that.

I'm not a big fan of insurance for rabbits... :?
I would for a cat or dog I think, but I have savings for my pets and I much prefer that.

Funnily enough I made the decision to insure rabbits where I might not for cats and dogs (not that I have any) based on the fact that a rabbit is highly likely to have an out of hours consultation - based on so many things being urgent for rabbits. I've lost a rabbit to a blockage, she was admitted during routine surgery times but I've also had a rabbit admitted out of hours (past midnight) recently for symptoms suggestive of a blockage and it cost £238 for consultation, diagnosis, treatment. The insurance company paid for it swiftly. I've now been convinced regarding insurance for my rabbits as that episide alone cost double a years premium.

I'm sure you will have no problem with your claim, as long as it isn't something that was pre-existing before taking out the policy then they are pretty good.

I claimed nearly £2000 for Joe last year for treatment for an abscess due to a foreign body in the roof of his mouth that then caused his teeth to misalign temporarily until the swelling went down and they even paid for his teeth burring as part of that claim, then most recently when he had stasis last month they have again paid out for teeth burring as it was deemed to be the cause of his stasis and it was on record that his teeth were fine at his last vaccination.

I couldn't contemplate not having insurance for my rabbits, Joe has cost £3000 in vets bills in the last 18 months - it would have taken me nearly 30 years to save that up if i was saving the petplan premium each month....as my vet said "a sick rabbit is a very expensive rabbit"...

Back