• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor bunnies outdoors-do yours like it?

Janey

Warren Veteran
Poppy & Peter are house bunnies, Poppy has always lived indoors, Peter was rescued and has lived indoors since he has been with me.

As it was a beautiful weekend I put them outside in the run yesterday, I did this last summer as well just for a bit of time here and there, however, they seem to hate it!! :shock:

It's not like they're scared, they just seem very un-amused at being put outside and spend most of their time sat in a corner. Does anybody else ever have this problem? Is there any way I could make their time outside more enjoyable? I rarely put them out as a result but it seems such a shame on lovely days!!

Alvin hates it. not sure about Holly yet, she was a housebun before she came to me so i have no idea if she was ever put outside during summer time.

Maybe they are just scared of the amount of space?? Do you have a run you could put them in to let them get used to it?

It probably seems very new and very strange to them and they might feel more secure if you were able to restrict the space for them a bit at first until they feel more comfortable :)

Mine defintely enjoy it, but I think it's basically because they have unlimited food outside! They spend most of the time eating when outside. Makes my mind boggle when people say it's cruel to keep a rabbit indoors...they aren't even that fussed about being outside :lol:

Are there plenty of hidey holes for them to seek safe shelter in if need be?

The big sky can be very daunting to little bunnies. Perhaps a few of their indoor things to comfort and re-assure them in the new big world.

Best of luck.

We've started putting alyssa out for a cpl hrs in the afternoon & she dislikes it & usually sits in a huff. Shes not scared, purely just moody if you get me!!

We've started putting alyssa out for a cpl hrs in the afternoon & she dislikes it & usually sits in a huff. Shes not scared, purely just moody if you get me!!

Yes, this is mine, they're not scared just totally in a mood!!

They are in a run as the garden is not at all secure enough for them to be let out (there are dogs on either side and they could get through the hedges). I have previously put hidey things out for them but they completely ignore these. I may try putting a couple of toys in but their run isn't that big, I am reluctant to get a bigger and better one unless I know they like it outside. Maybe they just don't like being confined in the run, they're indoor cage is bigger and they have free-range when I am home. Hmmmmmmm, I think they are just moody and used to their home comforts :roll:

Mine seem to like going out on the balcony but they haven't been out since November when Sergeant decided to break out to next door's balcony! I still haven't got round to bunny-proofing the tiny hole he got through.

eric hates it! makes out he wants to go outside then just seems really miserable:roll:

esme loves it - she's investigating everything right now:D

My lops love it outside, they spend 50% of the time eating and 50% of the time running around and binkying. I know though, if they had this area all the time they wouldn't. Cos it's somewhere new it's exciting to them.

My lionheads though don't like it so much. They are always on edge out there. Ear twitching, periscoping, trying to work out what every single little noise is.

Mine love it but they have to know the doors open to get back inside, (win and angel) jack gets locked out and he loves it but is scared by himself.
The others were terrified at first but they dont care so much now they come and go when were in. They go out pretty much everyday for few hours each.

I put Orla outside for the first time in February, she does love being in the hutch but when I give them free range time....she tends to hide under the dog kennel for a bit whilst Rodge bombs about like a madman! :lol:

My lops love it outside, they spend 50% of the time eating and 50% of the time running around and binkying. I know though, if they had this area all the time they wouldn't. Cos it's somewhere new it's exciting to them.

My lionheads though don't like it so much. They are always on edge out there. Ear twitching, periscoping, trying to work out what every single little noise is.

Er, ok so my lionheads don't like it initially and then do all they can to stay out :roll:

Back