• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Compromised house rabbit - outside for short times?

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Couldnt think of how to word the title, sorry guys :oops:

I had the back door open yesterday just a little and B&G both were at the panel guarding the door and were looking desperate to get out in the fresh air.

And so my dilemma begins :?

Ginger is currently not myxi vaccinated. Her jab was due just over a month ago, so whilst i know the protection doesn't just 'drop off' she doesn't have the full boosted myxi protection. She will NOT be having the jab for the foreseeable future, thats not an option right now.

So, whilst i know house rabbits are still at risk, albeit slightly reduced in my eyes, due to no contact with the outside world directly, but obviously in-direct infection is still a high possibility, do i let her outside?

I won't be letting Biscuit out at all if she can't go with him, as i can't bear for them to be apart, as they do everything together and never leave each others sides. That would cause them despair and upset in my eyes, so just a big no no.

They've both had a little grass slowly introduced over the past few weeks, which they both love, as its spring grass, i've only given a little, but they both love it and i know the fresh air will do them both the world of good.

So RU, opinions, suggestions, advice etc please.

Last year when Inca was too ill to have her vaccinations I let her outside. I agree that the risk is obviously heightened when they are outside, but it just seemed the right thing for me to let them have a run about.

It is a tough one :(

Personally I wouldn't risk it. Is it not possible for Ginger to have her jab because of her other problems :( ?

if she loves outside then i would let her go out. Only reason i stopped Pearl and Alvin's outside was because as much as she loved it he didnt so they would both be under the sofa withing 10 mins of the door being opened :roll:

i was fully prepared to rush Pearl to the vets at the first sign of myxi should she have been unlucky enough to have contracted it on top of her illness :( and had both my buns loved outside then she would of also been given that pleasure even with the risks of Myxi being present. why deny a dying bunny something they love is my view.

you would not believe how much fruit Pearl was given in her last months :love:

Last year when Inca was too ill to have her vaccinations I let her outside. I agree that the risk is obviously heightened when they are outside, but it just seemed the right thing for me to let them have a run about.

It is a tough one :(

It is tough :( She's never seen outside, except in the snow, which now i know was a mistake, as it made her worse, but now its in a better situation...

I'm really stumped.

Personally I wouldn't risk it. Is it not possible for Ginger to have her jab because of her other problems :( ?

Thank you for taking the time to post :)

I'm so torn.

And yes, she's just not strong enough to manage a myxi jab atm. When her VHD is due in October, i doubt she'll be having that either :(

Our vet says she may never be able to be vaccinated again, but then she has only been given 9-12months tops, although is a huge fighter and will do her best to defy any odds.

if she loves outside then i would let her go out. Only reason i stopped Pearl and Alvin's outside was because as much as she loved it he didnt so they would both be under the sofa withing 10 mins of the door being opened :roll:

i was fully prepared to rush Pearl to the vets at the first sign of myxi should she have been unlucky enough to have contracted it on top of her illness :( and had both my buns loved outside then she would of also been given that pleasure even with the risks of Myxi being present. why deny a dying bunny something they love is my view.

you would not believe how much fruit Pearl was given in her last months :love:

Thank you Donna, i truly appreciate your response.

Whatever happens with Ginger, if she contracted myxi, i'd fight with her, unless she told me "no".

I guess your analagy of denying a dying bunny something she'd love is a great way of thinking about it - that really makes sense to me, personally.

I can believe the amount of fruit Pearl was given ;)

Just wish it was simple, not so complex.

Just wish it was simple, not so complex.

the joy of loving these precious creatures sadly.

btw i had no intention of fighting myxi, it would of been PTS straight away.... that is what was decided with the vet, Pearl was so very poorly though she stood no chance against the evil disease even with the jab :cry:

try not to torture yourself, its very clear Ginger is your No.1 right now so you will not let her down with your decisions what ever they are :wave:

Tough decision, Gray - it seems such a shame that they can't enjoy outdoors.

I know it's not the same, but could you make digging boxes with compost in? Grow some trays of grass that could be brought indoors for them to enjoy eating and sitting on?

the joy of loving these precious creatures sadly.

btw i had no intention of fighting myxi, it would of been PTS straight away.... that is what was decided with the vet, Pearl was so very poorly though she stood no chance against the evil disease even with the jab :cry:

try not to torture yourself, its very clear Ginger is your No.1 right now so you will not let her down with your decisions what ever they are :wave:

I appreciate that, i have no idea, its something that we'd need to discuss. We're at the vets again on Friday for more fluids, so will discuss again then.

Thanks Donna :)

Tough decision, Gray - it seems such a shame that they can't enjoy outdoors.

I know it's not the same, but could you make digging boxes with compost in? Grow some trays of grass that could be brought indoors for them to enjoy eating and sitting on?

Not really viable. The house is a state with hay as it is :lol:

Can't have soil everywhere too - Especially with the way Biscuit digs :shock:

I'm moving towards a really short outing next weekend, if the weather is warm enough. Ginger loves the sun, she often sits by the back door when the suns out, or by the door in my office where the sun is in the mornings and tends to move as the sun does to lay back there :love:

I think she'd love to have a good run and binky about on the grass and a good nomming session...

Maybe i should think about it all differently and rather than think of the 'what ifs' perhaps think about the fact that she might not have long left to enjoy things like that, and so i should embrace them instead?

Not really viable. The house is a state with hay as it is :lol:

Can't have soil everywhere too - Especially with the way Biscuit digs :shock:

I'm moving towards a really short outing next weekend, if the weather is warm enough. Ginger loves the sun, she often sits by the back door when the suns out, or by the door in my office where the sun is in the mornings and tends to move as the sun does to lay back there :love:

I think she'd love to have a good run and binky about on the grass and a good nomming session...

Maybe i should think about it all differently and rather than think of the 'what ifs' perhaps think about the fact that she might not have long left to enjoy things like that, and so i should embrace them instead?

I agree - I would rather a pet had a shorter but fun filled life than we wrapped them up in cotton wool 'just in case'.

We have to be the same with Louis, our dog. But when we see him having fun we know we've made the right choice:)

if possible try for this :D

ive stopped my panicing and constant worry over Alvin's tummy now, ofcourse when i find him on hunger strike it all comes flooding back and im in floods of tears with Ste sitting there saying why you crying he always gets better :lol: but when its their time nothing we can do to stop it, they decide ultimately if they want to live or not.

Pearl taught me not to worry about tomorrow because bunnies certainly don't :D

Ginger wants her daddy to play in the garden with her :love:

You have to weigh up the pros and cons really. There is a risk with every animal, sometimes you have to just let them do what makes them happy.

If your garden isn't by any fields or wild rabbits surely it isn't much more of a risk than say you going into your garden then coming back indoors?

i'd say go for it.

having 2 house buns myself (one who comes and goes as she chooses and one who thinks he wants to go outside then cowers and hides as soon as he does:roll:) i try not to think about the what if's now. yes, both of mine are up to date with their jabs but having been bitten myself twice this weekend by some horrible flying things inside the house, i know that there is only so much we can protect them from.

Sue is an outdoor bun anyway and on vet advice has had her myxi jab but not VHD. I want her to get the most out of her remaining time - which is why I took the risk to bond her with my trio, despite knowing it would stress her initially. Her diet is not ideal for a bun as she has a lot of treats but I know every day with her is a bonus and she loves her noms - especially bread and oats.

I think it is about quality of life, not just quantity, but taking any precautions you can to make outdoor outings as safe as possible.

I personally would allow B and G some outdoor time.

I would let them outside to enjoy they're time together to the max.

It is such a hard decision but you want all the time she has to be as happy as possible. She obv doesn't know the risk of myxi so will un-doubtedly love it outside. Especially if they are looking longlingly into the garden.

I had a cat for years who was always poorly and I spent so many hours constantly worried about him, holidays were ruined by my worry about being away from him even during hours he was perfectly fine, I always worried about 'what if'. When he eventually died I thought about all the time I had wasted and how pointless it was, I wished I had just enjoyed him more. Now I try to get less stressed and paranoid about things, although it's hard, I think it's the best way to be for us and the animals.

I am sure if you let her out the binkies will speak for themselves and you will know if your decision has been the right one :D

Will carry on thinking, but you guys have given me some great insights, thank you, seriously.

Shes sat next to me right now, shes just so beautiful. :love:

i've had this dilemma lately. bisc and matt are over-due their myxi vaccs due to matt not being well enough to have it yet. but this last few days they have been wanting to go outside so i let them. just for 5 mins each day as i think the fresh air helps their noses. they were really happy and doing binkies. i've also given them a bit of grass the last few days.

it's a tough one i agree, i was worried about it. but our situation is different as they are having their vaccinations when stable again. :)

At the momet I don't think thee are many mossies around so it should be fairly safe. What if you covered the run in a fly screen or mosquito netting? That would reduce the risk of mossies getting to the buns.:D

Back