• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Instead of woodshavings...for buns who eat *everything*...??

Hi everyone, :wave:

I see there are a few threads already on woodshavings, but I'd really appreciate some advice. For a while now, I've been trying to move away from using woodshavings at all in the hutch and have been trying alternatives. The litter tray is the main place where it's used, and just underneath it, as they will sometimes move the tray out of the way and pee behind it in the corner. I'm not sure about putting lino down as Lexi hates slippery surfaces, and I'm not sure how she'd get on.

Between them, given half a chance Jeff and Lexi will eat newspaper, Carefresh, cardboard, carpet...
Woodshavings is just about the only thing they won't eat. :roll:
It's driving me nuts.

I haven't actually seen Megazorb, but heard lots about it. Is it anything like Carefresh...and is it safe if eaten? What's it made from?

Is just hay ok in the litter tray...does it absorb well enough to protect against urine scalds?
(I'd try this, but maybe not right now as Lexi is intent on nesting, although spayed, and will collect up every scrap of hay to make her nest....don't really want a bare litter tray...)

Sorry for all the questions....I'd really appreciate some advice.

Thank you!

aubiose is almost like very fine wood shavings but safe for small animals and about 4x more absorbent.

pic
aubiose-bedding-404-p.jpg

probably the most similar you'd get to wood shavings but they might still eat it. It's plant matter though so probably not going to do any harm if they do - my mice like to dig through it for what I assume must be tasty bits.
My rabbits haven't ever eaten it and they eat cardboard, newspaper and carpet too.

I use megazorb and my litter tray is as follows - cat litter tray, newspaper, megazorb and then lots of hay on top.

If you are unsure then just use lots of hay.

I'm not sure about putting lino down as Lexi hates slippery surfaces, and I'm not sure how she'd get on. How about a non slip lino

I haven't actually seen Megazorb, but heard lots about it. Is it anything like Carefresh...and is it safe if eaten? What's it made from? http://www.megazorb.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=page&id=8&chapter=10

Is just hay ok in the litter tray...does it absorb well enough to protect against urine scalds?
Hay itself is not absorbant

Thanks....I'll try to get some auboise...that looks good. Thanks for the pic. :)

I tried layering the tray with carefresh/newspaper/hay, but Jeff kept eating the carefresh and paper.....maybe stacks and stacks of hay over the carefresh (or megazorb) might work, forget the paper.....well, maybe when Lexi has stopped her mad nesting phase and pinching all the hay.....

I have used both megazorb and carefresh, carefresh is a lot more economical, less likely to get eaten and more absorbant ... well that is my experience.

I am new to rabbit owning well sort of mine are nearly 2 years old now but still learning all the time. We are going to try Lino as looks fab and easy to clean and the shavings are driving me mad, Lino isn't really slippery so hoping mine will be ok. We use cat litter in tray and layer of sawdust but gonna swap the sawdust for hay and keep it at that mine have never eaten the cat litter and they just about eat everything in sight lol

I am new to rabbit owning well sort of mine are nearly 2 years old now but still learning all the time. We are going to try Lino as looks fab and easy to clean and the shavings are driving me mad, Lino isn't really slippery so hoping mine will be ok. We use cat litter in tray and layer of sawdust but gonna swap the sawdust for hay and keep it at that mine have never eaten the cat litter and they just about eat everything in sight lol

:wave:
Ooo, hope for mine two then. :) Would be good to find something they won't munch.
Good luck with the lino-ing. I might get an off-cut and try it out in the hutch to see how Lexi gets on dashing around on it before I glue it down.

Back