• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone know if...

a diet high in sugar can make rabbits aggressive? :?

Someone told me today that their vet told them to stop feeding veg as it can make them aggressive!! :roll: She asked me for advice so im just double checking before i reply.

I was going to say its a load of rubbish, but ask what veg and pellets/mix she feeds. I was thinking the rabbit probably just needs spaying and was going to suggest cutting out sugary fruit and veg and try changing to pellets anyway as lots of sugar is bad for them.

Your thoughts please.

If I have too much sugar i go hyper, can the same happen with rabbits? :oops:

I wouldn't no :S if you compare them to kids - kids get sugar high then a moody low when they do get "annoying" but rabbits aren't kids. Though sugar will have a similar effect on most animals/humans anyway. Is her rabbit normally aggressive or does the rabbit display this behavour at certain times e.g close contact, no food giving when visiting, handling etc? Definatly something to re-search though

I wouldn't no :S if you compare them to kids - kids get sugar high then a moody low when they do get "annoying" but rabbits aren't kids. Though sugar will have a similar effect on most animals/humans anyway. Is her rabbit normally aggressive or does the rabbit display this behavour at certain times e.g close contact, no food giving when visiting, handling etc? Definatly something to re-search though

Thats what I thought. I thought id ask before i got back to her, but i want to know exactly what she feeds. Thanks though. x

Most rabbits get veg and most are not aggressive so don't think this could be the cause.
sue:wave:

I imagine a rabbit fed on a high sugar diet that is then kept in a small space would get frustrated and then aggressive. Maybe this is the case? I would find out what accomodation the bun has too. I know my bun was much calmer and stopped biting and lunging when gave him more free-range time, and this was before he was neutered. He is/was also food aggressive, and it is made worse by high-sugar foods as he loves them, could this be the issue?

Most rabbits get veg and most are not aggressive so don't think this could be the cause.
sue:wave:

I know that, but i think shes feeding a lot of sugary foods, so im wondering if she misinterpreted what her vet told her...although, it still shouldnt make her aggressive.

Unless its because of the lack of space to burn her energy off.

The only thing that's made mine hyper is metacam.

I wonder if it's the actual time of feeding that might be involved. Nutmeg gets aggressive when being fed treats sometimes.

Back