• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice for a post-spay bun?

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
Okay so I think this is a case of Sky-O's phrase, "knowing the rules but knowing when to break them".

Benji went back out into his hutch today, his neuter wound is healing nicely and he's back to his old self.
Nahla is staying in for a while I think, she took much longer to recover after her spay and as she's pulled her stitches out, I don't want her getting an infection.

She's been living in my shower, because the vet ordered 10 days cage rest, but she's SO bored. Soooo I was naughty and decided to let her have a hop around my room... and she seems 1000% better. She's obviously bored stiff in the restricted space... and I haven't seen her pull at her remaining stitches once since I let her out into my room.

So what shall I do? Shall I make sure she gets the ten days strict cage rest or shall I go with what's making her much happier?:?

Last edited:
how many days ago did Nahla have her spay?
Its really important not to let them jump as the stretching movement of the jump can tear the stitches.
It would depend, IMO, how many days it is since the op, and how much space she is hopping around in, and for how long, and whether she is just doing slow gentle movements or boinging round the room. Like anybun after that op she does need rest.

Also what about the risk of infection? maybe you could put a clean sheet down for her? I guess if she was in a large hutch say 6ft x 3ft she would have 18 sq ft to move around in, so letting her hop in that floor area approx wouldn't be much different, BUT it depends when the spay was.

(They usually have a post op check- has she had that yet?)
sue:wave:

Sorry, no idea, but if you change the thread title to 'advice for a post-spay bun' you might get someone with experience coming along.

how many days ago did Nahla have her spay?
Its really important not to let them jump as the stretching movement of the jump can tear the stitches.
It would depend, IMO, how many days it is since the op, and how much space she is hopping around in, and for how long, and whether she is just doing slow gentle movements or boinging round the room. Like anybun after that op she does need rest.

Also what about the risk of infection? maybe you could put a clean sheet down for her? I guess if she was in a large hutch say 6ft x 3ft she would have 18 sq ft to move around in, so letting her hop in that floor area approx wouldn't be much different, BUT it depends when the spay was.

(They usually have a post op check- has she had that yet?)

She had the op on thursday morning:)
She's just sort of hopping backwards and forwards between my bedroom and my ensuite, nothing fast, no binkies etc. She can't jump on anything, there's nothing for her to jump on.

I just noticed that even though I was putting tonnes of hay in for her to eat, she'd spend a few hours eating it and then just start attacking her stitches. Since I let her out earlier, she hasn't touched the stitches once.

its really important that hay does not stick into the stitches so maybe give smaller amounts of hay more frequently? Could it be that any hay is touching her stitches irritating them while in the shower cubicle, but when hopping on the lounge floor there is no hay to irritate?
I don't know how big your shower cubicle is,?... but if you put a large amount of hay in there perhaps it could accidentally get underneath her?
What bedding do you have her on? I think newspaper and hand towels are usually recommended?

I have never used a shower cubicle, for a spayed rabbit hutch, so don't know itf your rabbit is bored and hope others who have used one will come to give you some advice.

If Benji has gone outside would it be possible to put her in the cage he was in? Would that give her more room whilst being in a cage?

If Benji has gone outside would it be possible to put her in the cage he was in? Would that give her more room whilst being in a cage?

He wasn't in a cage:oops: I just laid down some fleece for him and put a pet carrier on top of it and he basically just stayed there the whole time, hopping in and out of the carrier and laying on the fleece. He's quite good.

its really important that hay does not stick into the stitches so maybe give smaller amounts of hay more frequently? Could it be that any hay is touching her stitches irritating them while in the shower cubicle, but when hopping on the lounge floor there is no hay to irritate?
I don't know how big your shower cubicle is,?... but if you put a large amount of hay in there perhaps it could accidentally get underneath her?
What bedding do you have her on? I think newspaper and hand towels are usually recommended?

I have never used a shower cubicle, for a spayed rabbit hutch, so don't know itf your rabbit is bored and hope others who have used one will come to give you some advice.

She has newspaper down with a fleecey blanket on top, and her hay is in an upturned cardboard box with a hole so that she can pull hay out and eat it but not get inside the box:)

They're doing wonderfully... But they're not going for a pre op check:? At our vets they only go back for their stitches to be taken out:?

I think Spenser is getting dissolvable stitches, and haven't actually asked about a post-op check. Glad they are doing well. :D How's Cupcake - feeling a bit neglected?

I think Spenser is getting dissolvable stitches, and haven't actually asked about a post-op check. Glad they are doing well. :D How's Cupcake - feeling a bit neglected?

Cupcake is actually getting a lot of attention, my boyfriend played out in the garden with her for a few hours yesterday:):love:

I've booked nahla and appt at the vets tonight to check her wound now she's puller all her stitches out, silly bunny.

Oh dear, I think some bunnies do this and are none the worse, but definitely best to have her checked.

I just checkeed her wound and to me it seems a little sore... If she needs pain relief/more stitches/anitbiotics for an infection then I don't want to leave her overnight without being checked:)

I just checkeed her wound and to me it seems a little sore... If she needs pain relief/more stitches/anitbiotics for an infection then I don't want to leave her overnight without being checked:)

Definitely not! It would be awful if she stopped eating due to a bit of pain when she has done so well so far.

Definitely not! It would be awful if she stopped eating due to a bit of pain when she has done so well so far.

Just got back from the vets, she's absolutely fine:) The outer stitches have come out but according to the vet the wound is holding together nicely:)

And by the way, sorry about all the spelling mistakes in my earlier posts, I was on my blackberry!:oops:

Last edited:
Back