• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

11 week old with dirty bum.

dcs

New Kit
We have an 11 week old mini lop. His bottom today is quite dirty and I'm hoping it's because yesterday he managed to find the tiniest bit of fresh grass to eat whilst out in his run which is on the patio at the moment.(The grass was growing between the slabs and he'd eaten it before I had chance to stop him :roll:) He appears very healthy otherwise and am hoping this is the reason for the dirty bottom. What is the best way to clean him...just water?

Hi :wave:. If he ate just the tinest bit of grass I doubt it would have been enough to cause an upset tummy but then it depends on whether he's used to any green foodstuffs at all. What else does he eat? Is he on a pelleted food? How much of it does he get per day? How much hay does he eat? Fresh veg? One of the main causes of a dirty bum is too much 'hard' feed such as museli mix or pellets.

If his diet is fine then I'd look towards a physical problem. At such a young age, he shouldn't have problems 'making ends meet' :shock: but that's not to say he shouldn't be checked out by a vet.

I'd suggest lukewarm water to soften the hard poo and gradually tease it off as it softens. Don't be in too much of a hurry as bunnies have very delicate skin and it tears easily. Slow and gentle is the way to go. Make sure he's dried off as much as you can, perhaps with some kitchen roll or something similar.

Hi :wave:. If he ate just the tinest bit of grass I doubt it would have been enough to cause an upset tummy but then it depends on whether he's used to any green foodstuffs at all. What else does he eat? Is he on a pelleted food? How much of it does he get per day? How much hay does he eat? Fresh veg? One of the main causes of a dirty bum is too much 'hard' feed such as museli mix or pellets.

If his diet is fine then I'd look towards a physical problem. At such a young age, he shouldn't have problems 'making ends meet' :shock: but that's not to say he shouldn't be checked out by a vet.

I'd suggest lukewarm water to soften the hard poo and gradually tease it off as it softens. Don't be in too much of a hurry as bunnies have very delicate skin and it tears easily. Slow and gentle is the way to go. Make sure he's dried off as much as you can, perhaps with some kitchen roll or something similar.

Ditto - one of the commonest problems is too much rich food - some of them find the Excell Junior too rich even.

However you need to check whether it is that they are not eating the caecal pellets or whether this might be a touch of diarrhoea . If it is diarrhoea then you will need to see a vet as a baby bun gets dehydrated very very very easily and quickly.

As yet I have given him no greens or veg and I am just slowly weaning him off the dried food that I was given with the rabbit and mixing it with the nuggets I have bought so it isn't too much of a change for his tummy, so this grass was his first taste of fresh food. He's getting loads of hay daily which he is eating and a very small amount of the dried food.

Back