• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Considering Amputation?

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
Here is a short video showing my 3 legged bunny Noodle and how she moves.

I know it would have been helpful for me to see this when making a choice to have her either put to sleep or proceed with amputation.

I hope it helps someone make a decision when in the same situation as I was.

She moves very easily however gets tired more than the other bunnies and lies down to rest a lot.

Awww, wish I'd of gone for amputation recently but sadly we decided to get a bunnies leg pinned. She was operated on twice and then the pin dislodged. I made the decision to amputate but when they removed the leg they found an infection had already gone into the pelvis. I know that in hindsight she'd of been brilliant on 3 legs and I am so, so upset.:cry: It is dreadful when you beat yourself up about decisions that you have made that are clearly wrong but we were so hopeful that we could save the leg. The break was very high up and there had been a lot of nerve damage so we should of just amputated from the start.:cry:

She moves really well considering. Its good to know for anyone in the future that might have this kind of decision to make.

That's a good idea. My rabbit Billy had a leg amputated about a year ago. Whilst he was being operated on I searched the net for videos of tripod buns. I had no idea if or how a three legged rabbit would cope and it was such a relief to see how well they could manage. Billy can still out run me! :lol:

I had a three legged bunny (hind limb amputation) and aside from a bit of a struggle sitting up to wash, she would still give Linford Christie a run for his money! Not sure how well they do if they lose a front leg :?. Anyone?

I had a three legged bunny (hind limb amputation) and aside from a bit of a struggle sitting up to wash, she would still give Linford Christie a run for his money! Not sure how well they do if they lose a front leg :?. Anyone?

Ditto - mine could hurdle as well and climb!!! But again it was hind leg.

Back