• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What can I use instead of wood shavings?

So I have to change now even though I've never had a problem with shavings. :roll: Parents wont be happy about that as the other alternatives mentioned aren't sold anywhere local. :?

So is it megazorb I would need? Where the heck do I get it from and isn't it really expensive? :shock: What could I use instead, is shredded paper ok? :wave:

I think I heard you could get megazorb from the hay experts for a good price but I'm not sure abou that? I use newspaper then hay in my two's trays abd that works well for me :)

I've looked on the other thread and folk are saying they just use newspaper in their litter trays so I assume that's OK to use if there is hay on top as well.

I'm going to try Ecobed but that's quite expensive as well.

I absolutely detest megazorb though so there's no way I'm using that again. In fact if anyone in the Falkirk area wants half a bag for free they can be my guest if they want to pick it up. It's so dusty I wouldn't use it for any of my lot.

You need something absorbent so I wouldnt think that shredded paper or just newpaper would do it. I think that is fine for the rest of the hutch/accommodation though, just not litter trays. I personally find megazorb the best, I've used Carefresh before but you cant get it in bulk and we seem to go through it quicker than the megazorb so I think it works out more expensive. It is a bit dusty getting it out of the bag - I've noticed that too Crunchie - but its mean to be dust extracted and I have to say once its out of the big main bag and we have either decanted it in to smaller bags or in to the litter trays it seems to settle with no problems.

i get megazorb from hay experts, i find you need alot less megazorb then you do wood shavings as its so absorbant and smells better :) so it works out quiet economical :wave:

I have no problem with megazorb being dusty but I put such a thick layer of hay over it that it's contained.

I just use newspaper for my lionheads and change it regular. Can't do that with the lops though or I'd have to change it everyday which I can't really do.

I use a layer of megazorb covered with a thick layer of hay. :wave:

The megazorb comes in a large sack. You don't need to use much of it if you are just lining the base of litter trays etc and covering with hay, so a sack lasts quite a long time. I've only recently started using it and I wish that I'd tried it sooner. :D

I just use thick layer of newspaper and then hay. I do change it every day, but it's no problem, as just roll up the newspaper with the used hay/poos inside.

It is a bit dusty getting it out of the bag - I've noticed that too Crunchie - but its mean to be dust extracted and I have to say once its out of the big main bag and we have either decanted it in to smaller bags or in to the litter trays it seems to settle with no problems.

I find it really hard to believe that megazorb (or the stuff I've had anyway) is dust extracted. I know it's advertised as such but the bag I got before the bag I have just now caused my boyfriends asthma to flare up when he was emptying it into a bucket for me to use with the rats. I think I used one lot with them then threw the rest out as it was making the rats all wheezy and sneezy. I expect the rats are a lot more sensitive than the rabbits but it wasn't exactly a vote of confidence for the stuff. :lol:

I'll buy something more suitable this week, hopefully Roly and Honey won't try and eat the finacard stuff that's in their litter trays in the meantime.

I use on newspaper on the bottom of the tray and lots of lovely hay on top.
Most of the hay is eaten by Smoo and then I change it every day or at the moment every other day because they're mostly going to the toilet in their old hutch. :roll: :lol:

I have a few people who give me their old newspapers so I don't pay anything for them.

Why do you have to change if you had no problem?

I use Hemcore, or 'HuchHemp'. Its fairly cheap and extremely absorbent. But I put newspaper under cos it sticks to the tray. :wave:

Last edited:
I find it really hard to believe that megazorb (or the stuff I've had anyway) is dust extracted. I know it's advertised as such but the bag I got before the bag I have just now caused my boyfriends asthma to flare up when he was emptying it into a bucket for me to use with the rats. I think I used one lot with them then threw the rest out as it was making the rats all wheezy and sneezy. I expect the rats are a lot more sensitive than the rabbits but it wasn't exactly a vote of confidence for the stuff. :lol:

I'll buy something more suitable this week, hopefully Roly and Honey won't try and eat the finacard stuff that's in their litter trays in the meantime.

Thats no good. :( I have noticed it be quite dusty just lately as well, but as I say just when getting it out of the bag. Hope the Finacard stuff works out better, havent heard of that one before. :)

Back