• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny boarding

Dollie

Warren Scout
When it comes to a place to stay for your little ones during your holiday, what do you think is important? What should a boarder offer you/your rabbit?

I started a holiday boarding for buns last year, I'm working on some new hutchs now and I was wondering what you guys think is important.. :) not only when it comes to housing, I'd like to know your opinions about everything!

My current hutches are on my website: www.konijnenpensionjoy.tk, it's all in Dutch though.. Just click on "Verblijven" to see the hutches. I have some indooracccomodations too that are not on the website, I also foster rabbits for the rescue I work at so they're not available all the time, that's why I didn't put them on.

(Must add that I'm keeping it very small to be able to make sure I can give every animal the care it needs!)

We do rabbit boarding and I think space is very important our hutches are 5ft wide, 2ft high and 2ft deep and they have attached play pens so that if the weather is bad they can still get out for some exercise.

These are our boarding hutches
17-2-11002.jpg

This is one of three indoor bunny suites.
November027.jpg

Hi

I think apart from having good accommodation, your good all round knowledge is very important. Being able to spot when a rabbit is not right when it is staying with you is important and then knowing what to do about it.

Infection control is also very important - ensuring that rabbits don't share grass for example as EC spores remain in grass for 6 weeks.

Making sure that vaccinations (if appropriate in the Netherlands) are up to date.

I also personally think it's good to be able to give out useful information about rabbit care if you spot something that the owner may do that needs attention - for example nail clipping.

Here are some of my hutches

I have indoor hutches with heating, lighting, radio if appropriate, fly screens and insulation for heat and cold. The rabbits can't see each other either which can be important in cases of referred agression.

These are 7 1/2ft x 3ft x 2 1/2 ft and are in an outside building.

AccommodationMay2010006.jpg

BoardingAccommodationDoorView2.jpg

I do think that having sufficient space for boarding bunnies to be in their own space for their whole visit is important because they will feel more secure; some rabbits don't lke being handled and will be stressed if put out into unfamiliar run spaces that smell of other rabbits. Stress can lead to complications so I prefer to lessen it where I can.

My new hutches - not yet ready for occupation, but with a 'pet shop hutch' inside for scale. They are 8x3x3

192059_10150174020192329_701492328_8431538_2645829_o.jpg

I love the hutches on the last photo they are brilliant :love:

Why thank you kind lady :D. I am very pleased with them - had to drive all the way to Cornwall to collect them - the guy is unable to deliver so if I want him to make them I have to go get! Worth the trouble though and these are my 5th lot from the same person.

I did however not expect them to look quite so huge outside our back door - they block all the sunshine out :oops:

We do rabbit boarding and I think space is very important our hutches are 5ft wide, 2ft high and 2ft deep and they have attached play pens so that if the weather is bad they can still get out for some exercise.

These are our boarding hutches
17-2-11002.jpg

I think your set up is great - lovely and clean and light. I wish I had the space to do something like this but I already had my garden building so couldn't have anything better. Just making do but it works okay for now :)

Thanks for your responds everyone! The hutches in the photo's are amazing! I have three hutches now, all different but simulair in size I think. Not sure about the feet.. ;) They're about 2 by 1 meter/a double one 1 by 1 x2.

I think it's safe to say that there is nothing wrong my knowledge of rabbits, diseases, etc, I have enough experience with sick rabbits and for my work at a rabbitrescue I advise people about all sort of things almost on a daily basis.

Vaccinations are basically the same as in the UK I think, not sure.. But they have to be vaccinated for at least two weeks before stay but no longer than three (myx) and six (VHD) months ago.

So nothing new so far, thank God haha. I just wanted to make sure I really can offer rabbits all they need. It's too important to make stupid mistakes.

Thanks for your responds everyone! The hutches in the photo's are amazing! I have three hutches now, all different but simulair in size I think. Not sure about the feet.. ;) They're about 2 by 1 meter/a double one 1 by 1 x2.

I think it's safe to say that there is nothing wrong my knowledge of rabbits, diseases, etc, I have enough experience with sick rabbits and for my work at a rabbitrescue I advise people about all sort of things almost on a daily basis.

Vaccinations are basically the same as in the UK I think, not sure.. But they have to be vaccinated for at least two weeks before stay but no longer than three (myx) and six (VHD) months ago.

So nothing new so far, thank God haha. I just wanted to make sure I really can offer rabbits all they need. It's too important to make stupid mistakes.

Well that all sounds good then :)

Is bunny boarding big in Holland? Do many people bother?

Not really.. Enough people to fill my hutches for the summer I think but no, most people ask their neighbours or whatever to throw in some food every now and then......

At the rescue we do bunnyboarding too and they're quite busy every year. But most people think it's a waste of money. They seem to think everything is a waste of money, when it comes to rabbits.. :roll: why should you bother, you can get a new one for less than 10 pounds...... No, not a very big difference with the UK when it comes to that.. I think it's even worse here.

Not really.. Enough people to fill my hutches for the summer I think but no, most people ask their neighbours or whatever to throw in some food every now and then......

At the rescue we do bunnyboarding too and they're quite busy every year. But most people think it's a waste of money. They seem to think everything is a waste of money, when it comes to rabbits.. :roll: why should you bother, you can get a new one for less than 10 pounds...... No, not a very big difference with the UK when it comes to that.. I think it's even worse here.

So it just sounds like you are where we were in the UK a few years ago. Rabbit boarding is a relatively new thing here I think - still get the comments from the non-informed about why would you bother.

Keep up the good work and in time the message will travel and you will have made a big difference, certainly to the rabbits and owners who do care enough to use proper boarding.:D

I hope so! We'll get there one day. We (a few volunteers from other rescues across the country and I) are working on a site just like Rabbit Rehome now, to get some attention for rabbits in rescues.

I hope so! We'll get there one day. We (a few volunteers from other rescues across the country and I) are working on a site just like Rabbit Rehome now, to get some attention for rabbits in rescues.

Excellent news. It only takes a few likeminded folks who want to change things and a bit of time and commitment and anything is possible. Maybe you could do Make Mine Chocolate! in the Netherlands too when you have a spare 5 minutes :)

Little steps but one day people willl understand what it takes to keep rabbits properly :)

I love the Make Mine Chocolate! campaign, usually wear the button when I'm working and have one on my camerabag as well. Most people think it's a wonderfull idea, when they ask what it stands for. Wouldn't be a bad idea bringing it to the Netherlands..... Hmm......

First get that website up and running, maybe Make Mine Chocolate! could be the next project, thanks for the idea! (Oh and maybe I should try to pass my exams too, somewhere in between.. :oops: wouldn't want to spend another year in highschool :p)

Back