• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I just being paranoid? Your opinion on bunny living arangements

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
Neighbours son - 16 - new group of friends who like to hang out at his house/garden/garage and get drunk. Lovely There is a high, sturdy fence and wall between us and they don't bother me... but .....I just worry that one night they will get bored and look for some mischief to get up to and think of my bunnies.... If you think I'm being silly and paranoid, please say so.

Option 1 - stop being paranoid - they are not annoying the buns, just forget about them and stop making problems before they arise...

Option 2 - start bringing the buns in to sleep at night ( they will not be amused)

Option 3 - buy another shed as an extention to their sleeping shed and as a replacement for their run. One that can be padlocked. (harder to get into than the run). I could take a couple of pannels out and replace with heavy duty wire.

Option 4 - Feel free to make suggestions.....

I think you're being paranoid. You've said yourself they're not bothering you.

I used to get together with a bunch of friends when I was younger and we'd hang out in my garden with a few drinks. Not once did it cross my mind to go on to someone else's property and have some fun with their pets :lol:
If they're bored I'm sure they'd go out, they probably just enjoy relaxing at his place having a chat and some booze.

What is your buns' set up at the moment? Is there any way to make it more secure? No harm in making some changes if it puts your mind at rest. :)

I have similar worries over one of my neighbours and I tend to sleep with the bathroom window slightly open so I can hear any noises, I often get up to look out the window when I've heard them thumping - usually it's a cat taking a shortcut through the garden:roll:

The neighbours haven't had a party for over a year now, which turned into a bit of a riot with the police attending 4 times during the night - one of their "guests" climbed over the adjoining fence into our garden (quite brave as it's covered in a prickly bush) - the police did find him - he had hopped into someone elses garden:roll:

Mine are all locked in sheds at night which have walk in runs attached - all have padlocks on - but this doesn't stop me worrying about them:oops:

I guess that doesn't help you much - apart from the fact I've confessed to being paranoid too:lol:

I would also worry. Would bunnies use a cat flap in their sleeping shed door and padlock the shed door at night? that way bunnies could get in to safety but still be able to use run at night.

Are they padlocked so that no-one could get access to the run/shed anyway?

Do you have a security light that will come on if anyone goes by the run?

How about barbed wire across the top of the fence ;) (not sure you're allowed to do that any more :?)

I'm paranoid too. All our outdoor buns get locked in to their shed or kennel overnight as I dont want to risk them being outside in the dark (foxes and dodgy folk as we have a rear entry at the back of our garden). They all have padlocks on their kennel/shed too. Its just peace of mind knowing that they are safe and secure overnight - or at least that I have made it as hard as possible for anyone or anything to get in to them. :oops:

Are they padlocked so that no-one could get access to the run/shed anyway?

Do you have a security light that will come on if anyone goes by the run?

How about barbed wire across the top of the fence ;) (not sure you're allowed to do that any more :?)

We were advised by the Police to take ours down, if someone injures themselves on it, they could prosecute us even though they were tresspassing in our garden:roll:

You can have natural defences - which we have, such as a hollly bush at one end and the entire fence has a thorny bush on it (pyracantha), which is lethal:lol:

Last edited:
It's hard to tell really, without knowing the people involved.

I drink with friends - does that mean I'm the sort of person to break into someone's garden and release their pets?

If it makes you feel better, by all means reinforce their living quarters and put locks on...but to protect against all comers, not just next door who haven't done anything wrong.

I think that the risk of trouble is very small.
Barbed wire isn't allowed any more. A Rambling rose or 2 along the fence would give protection, look nice, AND provide a nice treat of flowers & leaves for your bunnies! ;)

Sometimes it's good to be over protective and paranoid. If you're bothered about their well-being do something about it, whatever it is :wave:
If something happened I'm sure you'd never forgive yourself, especially thinking that something might happen. To be perfectly honest, I'm sure they mean no harm, but just in case and all that jazz!

Thanks for ALL opinions. I do lock them in the shed at night but I just put a piece of wood and a pot in front of their hatch. I think I am being paranoid but a security light (thanks Blackie) would not go amiss. I think that it is maybe all in my mind. I was never brought up around drink or people being drunk and maybe if unnearves me more than it would other people. Also I live alone so that could be part of it too. I could buy a padlock and chain for the run door too I suppose. And the shed door has a padlock already on it!! Ok I am sounding paranoid now. They are turning me into such a curtain twitcher too - gotta stop for my own sanity!!:roll:

If its already got a padlock on it and their hatch is also secure then I think it sounds fine. A security light is a good idea too, we've got one of those as well - though it always scares me when it goes off :lol::lol: and its always just when next door park their car in their garage late at night! :roll::lol:

If its already got a padlock on it and their hatch is also secure then I think it sounds fine. A security light is a good idea too, we've got one of those as well - though it always scares me when it goes off :lol::lol: and its always just when next door park their car in their garage late at night! :roll::lol:

Yeah. Just thinking twice about the security light - would prob make me a nervous wreck!!! :roll::lol:

Yeah. Just thinking twice about the security light - would prob make me a nervous wreck!!! :roll::lol:

Our neighbours have one. Sometimes I feel like a spotlight is following me when I attend on Spenser in the evening. It doesn't bother me though. We have an ourside light for the garden, but I never remember to put it on before I go out at night.

Our neighbours have one. Sometimes I feel like a spotlight is following me when I attend on Spenser in the evening. It doesn't bother me though. We have an ourside light for the garden, but I never remember to put it on before I go out at night.

You should stop and do a little tap-dance in the spotlight!! And Spenser could sing a little ditty to go along!!:p

I can understand you feeling that way. It was something I thought about when considering whether to put the lionheads outside or not as their shed would've been very close to the alleyway they runs behind our garden. I've also seen a gang of a few boys in said alleyway at 1am, not doing anything naughty, just mucking around with phones and things but it is something that would worry me so I can understand it worrying you. I'm afraid I have no suggestions.

You have a dog too don't you, would he/she not bark if people came into your garden, security lights are good.

I did not know you could not have barbed wire, lots of people around here use razor wire :shock:

You have a dog too don't you, would he/she not bark if people came into your garden, security lights are good.

I did not know you could not have barbed wire, lots of people around here use razor wire :shock:

Chester the dachsund is a pensioner pooch - don't think he'd be up to chasing anyone away, not when there's a comfy bed to lie in!

Back