• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is any wood except pine ok for buns?

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
My OH and his friend made a really good platform for the buns yesterday, and a ramp to go with it :) it looks great, the only thing I'm concerned about is that the wood is quite strong smelling. It's not pine (which I know is bad for them) but it's like a composite board type of stuff from B&Q. Does anyone know if this will be ok? :wave:

I don't know what composite board is :oops: but pine is ok for bunnies (it's just the woodshavings that aren't).

Cedar is pretty bad for guinea pigs, so it may be the same for rabbits? I'm sure someone else will know. It might just be the shavings too then, if its just shavings for pine..

Oh right!! I thought all pine was bad :oops: why just the shavings?

It's to do with the fumes given off; it came up a while ago on another thread and I managed to find this, written by Dana Krempels (who has also written articles for US veterinary journals) in response to a question from somebody. ;)

Pine is fine as long as it is not varnished or pressure treated. As long as it's naked, untreated pine, it's fine for chewing.

What you might be confusing is pine shavings for litter, which are not recommended, as they exude harmful aromatic compounds that can cause respiratory irritation and other problems. But untreated, unvarnished pine is fine.

The full question can be seen here (scroll down to the 2nd question/answer to see what I quoted above).

Back