• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Over-feeding?

lexxiesmith

Young Bun
My Mum came around yesterday and went out to see Quinn and Tessa and commented on how big they had got... She wasn't being mean in any way and said they looked healthy - both have lovely shiny coats, bright eyes, good teeth etc.
Now I'm just concerned they are getting too much food though.
How and what do you guys feed?

We have a routine here which both have settled into - at around 8-10am I go out with their food - they are given a handful of pellets, a cardboard tube full of timothy hay (try to stuff it so they have a portion around the size of their body) and then veggies and fruit which I mix, but they normally get five mini-portions of five different stuffsss: So today they have had; 1/2 a carrot each, a small handful of curly kale, a large cabbage leaf and some broccoli.
This is what they get every day.
Am I feeding too much?? :?

Personally I don't think so? I'd say I feed roughly the same although I don't measure the hay I just keeping topping that up! My vet told me that most rabbits only need two egg cups full of pellet mix and endless amounts of hay. I would give more than this (although not too much more) as I think most vets like to see our pets all skinny and I think its healthy to have a little weight as if the are poorly they have some extra reserves!! Just my opinion!! :)

Thanks for this Chloe, I should add that when I come back from Uni/placement IF their hay is empty, I top it up... I wouldn't knowingly leave them without :) :)

Thanks for this Chloe, I should add that when I come back from Uni/placement IF their hay is empty, I top it up... I wouldn't knowingly leave them without :) :)

I'm sure you know and do this anyway, but just to add it should never be allowed to get empty, you should always provide more than they'll eat, as occasionally they'll eat more, or you'll be late giving them more :)

Their diet sounds fine, just make sure they're not getting half a carrot each everyday, as it is fattening. Obviously if they get carrot, dont give them any other fruit/sweet stuff. And if you're going to feed broccoli or kale everyday, make sure its small amounts as they are high in calcium.

i think it does depend on there breed/size and how much excerise they have too :) i dont give mine fruit or carrot usally as its high in sugar i keep it for a special occation such as xmas and gottcha days :) My vet always says the best way to tell is you should be able to touch them and feel there ribs like a pack on pencils :) xx

I'm sure you know and do this anyway, but just to add it should never be allowed to get empty, you should always provide more than they'll eat, as occasionally they'll eat more, or you'll be late giving them more :)

If I'm out all day and they eat all the hay... I don't really know what else I can do. I fill a tube because they have so much fun pulling it out, and I put extra down in their run for them... That's the best i can do I think?? :?

If I'm out all day and they eat all the hay... I don't really know what else I can do. I fill a tube because they have so much fun pulling it out, and I put extra down in their run for them... That's the best i can do I think?? :?

You could put hay in their litter tray(s) so they eat from there too. Hay really is so important: their diet should consist of 80% hay.

Just make sure you give them more than you know they'll eat :) Just a pile in the corner of the hutch will do, and in the trays like Babsie said, maybe an extra hay rack if you dont want it on the floor of the hutch :)

For example my bun gets through about half of his large hay rack in twelve hours, so I make sure I fill it right up and put hay in his litter tray too. That way I am sure he wont run out.

Back