• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

keeping cool in summer

fairy75

Young Bun
at the start of last winter I splashed out on a log cabin/summer house for my buns and piggies hutches....they have been kept cosy and dry all winter :D

in the summer Im wondering how to keep them cool overnight...daytimes arent a problem, they are in their runs all day whatever the weather, they are sheltered in there, its the nights, i darent leave the double doors open as there is a fox lurking....its now had 7 local bunnies :(

would a fan be the best option, or cool packs? its quite airy in there but would imagine it could get quite stuffy as the temperature rises

any suggestions welcome :D

If the weather is very hot, I tend to leave the shed doors open all day to allow the heat to escape. My sheds are also insulated with polystyrene sheeting. I have an opening window which opens into the aviary so it's safe to leave open all night.

You could rig up a fan but you'd need to make sure the electrics were fully bunny-safe. Armoured cable is the best way to go but it's not cheap :shock:.

I freeze big juice bottles full of water, and put them in the hutches as late at night as I can so normally 11-12pm and keeps them cool by lying next to them :) x

Have a look at Ice Pods. They are expensive but I like them cos they fit in the freezer nicely and don't take up too much space.

Thats sad about the local bunnies. Remember foxes lurk and attack during the day too. It never occured to me until someone told me a few years ago.

Sorry no help with what to do to cool it down. But you can buy slaps of marble for chinchillas to lay on to cool down and they use it too. :wave:

Have a look at Ice Pods. They are expensive but I like them cos they fit in the freezer nicely and don't take up too much space.

Ice pods are great!
I also freeze water bottles, and i put in ice cubes in a bowl.
wally4eva has a mini fan with no wires, and i think she got it from Wilko's.

thankyou, I tend to keep the doors open all day even though they arent in there, I shall go look at ice pods :D

I have lots of those little ice-pack things that go in lunch boxes, which are super cheap and fit nicely into the freezer. Sox loves to sit on them:D. I also put ice cubes in a bowl :)

:wave: Ice pods are good - I have 2, but they are very expensive for what they are. When the weather is really warm, they don't stay cold for long enough to help the buns cool all day - freezing water bottles is a great idea -they take a long time to defrost & the ice-blocks for picnic bags are good too as they are cheap & easy to fit in the freezer.
Putting ice cubes in drinking water is a good idea too as other have said :D
Providing a shaded area where air can circulate will help too :) x

Back