• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Phenobarbitone for rabbits...UD dosage sorted..BUT...

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
hi...bertie my frenchie has been having seizures since last autumn...amd this year theyre much worse and more frequent. hes been having depocillin jabs for his pasurella after spending two years on and off baytril:censored:

I had also been given rectal tubes of diazepam (valium) to give him when the fit is prolonged or he has a few in a row...cluster seizures.

he had a horrific cluster of fits early hours of saturday morning...i managed to get the diazepam in at the second seizure but he carried on..it was awful:cry:

i rang the vet and she thinks now we have little choice left but to give him Phenobarbitone :( Shes been trying to get experts advice on dosage etc..but theyve been pretty sketchy....and nnot many vets have had a bunny with seizures treated sucessfully...or even halved..its because its not true epilepsy...

So shes thinking pediatric syrup for him once she sorts out the dosage..in the meantime ive ocme home saturday afternoon with 6 tubes of diazepam for bertie:(

any tips advice will be greatky appreciated....ive found some info but there isnt much out there....:(

Last edited:
hi...bertie my frenchie has been having seizures since last autumn...amd this year theyre much worse and more frequent. hes been having depocillin jabs for his pasurella after spending two years on and off baytril:censored:

I had also been given rectal tubes of diazepam (valium) to give him when the fit is prolonged or he has a few in a row...cluster seizures.

he had a horrific cluster of fits early hours of saturday morning...i managed to get the diazepam in at the second seizure but he carried on..it was awful:cry:

i rang the vet and she thinks now we have little choice left but to give him Phenobarbitone :( Shes been trying to get experts advice on dosage etc..but theyve been pretty sketchy....and nnot many vets have had a bunny with seizures treated sucessfully...or even halved..its because its not true epilepsy...

So shes thinking pediatric syrup for him once she sorts out the dosage..in the meantime ive ocme home saturday afternoon with 6 tubes of diazepam for bertie:(

any tips advice will be greatky appreciated....ive found some info but there isnt much out there....:(

I have only had one Rabbit treated with Phenebarbitone. It is unlikely that you'll find any documented dose rates for Rabbits as the drug is not licensed for use in Rabbits.

I would suggest that your Vet contacts a manufacturer's Vet Advisor to discuss possible dose rates.

Here is one:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/V_AOk-toquinol_UK_Ltd/Epiphen_Solution/-31889.html

thank you jane. Even edinburgh couldnt help.

I am hoping she will get to the dosages soon.....it takes 3 weeks to be effective in dogs and cats.......4 in humans.....bunnies metabolise so much faster.

saski rang me to tell me that the phenobarb liquid arrived already.....BUT it isnt the paediatric nice tasty syrup she was expecting!! its a huge bottle of clear bitter liquid...that has a really high ethanol level:shock:

so saski rang edinburgh again to double check....they said yes its the right liquid...not much on bunnies taking it.

The dose has been worked out for bertie.....5mg twice a day.....

thats an awful lot of stress for him and im not happy with the ethanol levels.

so i asked her about epiphen......its tablet form of phenobarb......and therefore no extortionate ethanol levels. so saski is going to double check side effects....dosage is about half a tablet.
I said yes hes taken pills before....he had piriton and i used to wrap them up in any treat he liked..inc piece of banana...strawberry jam.....fruit winder...maom strips....they worked a treat but high sugar contnent..but had to be as the pill was soo bitter.

fingers crossed the pills are a better option.

i told her how i panic leaving the house...even going for a shower..using the loo.....taking rubbish out to the bin...nipping across to mums to check her bunnys tummy upset.....

so the medicines his best hope..and it may not even work:(

i hope it does...and i am also to give him metacam EVERY DAY for the longterm too.

bertie thinks metacams yummers:lol:

i still mentioned the odd occurrence of stopping the panacur and a fit occuring..his EC titre came back negative....hard to believe as he lived with bif who had a 10% titre all that time.
so i said i will continue until hes on the anti epileptic meds and stable.

i am collecting the meds tomorrow...as saski said if merlins eating more hay tomorrow...and veggies and not needing syringe feeding..then he can come home....the necrotic tissue is still a bit tender tho....

then friday morning kitty freyas having her spey stitches out.

its all go here:shock:

so i asked her about epiphen......its tablet form of phenobarb......and therefore no extortionate ethanol levels. so saski is going to double check side effects....dosage is about half a tablet.

fingers crossed the pills are a better option.

You can get Epiphen solution too, it's 4%w/v if the pills don't work out. Bindi is on it twice a day for Epilepsy too, it seems to be working for her but the weather warming up will be the test. Hope it all works out with Bertie.

:wave: yes i asked the vet and she heard from edinburgh...who suggested the epiphen liquid as an alternative to the huge dose syrup..or the tablets as theyd have to be cut up:shock:

please tell me more about bindi and how shes coping with the meds side effects.....:wave:

Back