• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thinking of making Twinkle/Sparkle House Bunnies..

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
but I have a few problems.

Due to Twinkle being quite sickly I am wondering whether she would be better off being indoors?

My issues are:

The whole house is allergic to bunnies/hay so to cause the least problems they would have to be in my bedroom.

I have two cats that are quite inquisitive so the bedroom door would have to remain shut.

Twinkle refuses to litter train so she pees and poos all over the place, so worry about my carpets getting ruined.

Any suggestions of indoor housing/free range arrangements greatly appreciated!

Have you room to keep them in a large pen rather than directly on your carpet?

Tink has no respect for where to wee/poo and Rudy chews everything chewable. They therefore are housed in a large pen. The room was carpetted before they moved in so the pen has non-slip vinyl on the floor.

I'm allergic to hay as well but I cope. Only time it's a problem is when I've given the pens a really good sweep out and flicked the dust around.

Cats. Can't help with that but if you are concerned about ventilation it would be possible to make a mesh door/babygate that can't be cleared by moggies/bunnies for your bedroom. (You can tell I don't do houseproud :oops::oops:)

Have you room to keep them in a large pen rather than directly on your carpet?

Tink has no respect for where to wee/poo and Rudy chews everything chewable. They therefore are housed in a large pen. The room was carpetted before they moved in so the pen has non-slip vinyl on the floor.

I'm allergic to hay as well but I cope. Only time it's a problem is when I've given the pens a really good sweep out and flicked the dust around.

Cats. Can't help with that but if you are concerned about ventilation it would be possible to make a mesh door/babygate that can't be cleared by moggies/bunnies for your bedroom. (You can tell I don't do houseproud :oops::oops:)

What size pen do you have?

You can always get a baby gate to put in the doorway to keep buns safe from cats without keeping the door closed all the time. You can get them cheaply from Argos.

What size pen do you have?

Tinks and Roo have a pen that is about 7ft x 4ft. It's against a wall of my living room so I've used NIC grids to make it 2 shelves high. I'd be happy with less if they got free range time as well but there's just too much electricity/fish tanks to make it bunny proof.

but I have a few problems.

Due to Twinkle being quite sickly I am wondering whether she would be better off being indoors?

My issues are:

The whole house is allergic to bunnies/hay so to cause the least problems they would have to be in my bedroom.

I have two cats that are quite inquisitive so the bedroom door would have to remain shut.

Twinkle refuses to litter train so she pees and poos all over the place, so worry about my carpets getting ruined.

Any suggestions of indoor housing/free range arrangements greatly appreciated!

I have all these problems but not in quite that configuration!

Nutmeg poops everywhere, and pees everywhere until settled. Would you be able to get an offcut of lino to put over the carpet for the time being? The thing with carpet is if you don't get wees pretty quick they do tend to be really difficult to shift. Lino is a lot easier to sweep as well.

I'm allergic to hay too but I still have the lops in my room. I'm ok as long as the hay isn't too churned up so I do anything to do with hay outside where the breeze can shift most of the dust. I also have to keep their door shut or they will come out and disturb the lionheads who get all territorial.

I do think the easiest way, if you can swing it, is to bunny proof. Otherwise you start with these setups and then, um, just end up free-ranging anyway :oops:

Back