• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

3 in the bed?

willowholly

Mama Doe
We are hoping to move this year to a bigger house with an outside area.We would like a conti to join our family,its a breed my husband has always wanted.Do threesomes work?We have a small frenchie & a medium lop cross at the moment.:)

Threesomes work, yes. If you have a bonded pair, if you bond another one, it might loosen the original pairs bond though xx

How exciting! Would be interesting to hear from those who have successfully bonded another bun into a pair :D

Like any bond, it's not guaranteed, but they can work.
You have the added risk of the original bond breaking too.

I bonded Eli in to my pair and it works really well.
I would say it works better than they did as a pair for my three. :)

I'm actually planning on doing that. :shock:

I have a bonded pair but Grim is special needs. He has to be fed extra on his own a good few times a day and I feel bad for Smoo being either shut in or out of the hutch away from him while he eats yummy food. I try to give her veg while he eats but she noms it down so quickly and then looks very dejected. So I'm hoping to adopt another bun so that they can still play etc while Grim has food/goes to the vets and anything else. I am a little worried now because I don't want their bond to break.

I am a little worried now because I don't want their bond to break.
Personally I think the risk of the bond permanently breaking is exaggerated.
I did tonnes of reading before bonding mine and kept reading about it being a possibility but none of the people who wrote the blogs and guides had actually had the problem themselves.
I've only heard of it actually happening once (to someone on here) and she said herself it could have been because she made mistakes when bonding.

You can only do what you think is best for your rabbits. :)

Thanks, that's reassured me. :)
I was going to do a very slow bond anyway. Both my buns have been around other rabbits and there was never any referred aggression so I was going to slowly get them used to the idea there was another bun about. Things like letting them see each other through mesh or cuddling them together. Then I would do the actual bond in the 'normal' way. In a neutral place in a dog crate.

Obviously I haven't actually done this yet but hope it might be of some use.

I bonded a female with a male/female pair. The scraps were between the girls and never drew blood! The male, Floppy, used to try and keep the peace.

Unfortunately one of the females was extremely ill and they were only a trio for a couple of months.

I am actually now in favour of trying larger groups. This was the second time Floppy lost his partner, the first was his brother. He seemed to cope more easily when Mittens died because Millie was still there.

I am hoping to adopt Starfish from Honeybunny and will try and bond her with my pair. They will hopefully go to the rescue I foster for to bond this time.

Threesomes do work but unfortunately for me it didn't. Mine was 2 girls and 1 boy. I don't know if it makes any difference.

I want a trio eventually... Not to sound morbid but I prefer having animals in 3s so if something happens to one, the remaining two have eachother still

I had Noodle and Twig (both girls) and bonded Lucy (another girl) into them.

Noodle and Twig were about 11 months old and together since birth.

It was a little hectic and a few scraps - We bonded them in a place where we could keep an eye on them. Lots of humping going on! Nightmare...... but I found out Lucy was pregnant (already pregnant when i got her) So once she was speyed they all got on fine. They have the occasional row but nothing too terrible.

So yes- 3 girls works well. All young and a similar age. Bonding works best with young bunnies.... So if you have an older pair- a yound bun added to them will work better as they are less of a 'threat'

My buns have never been separated in two years,how do you take a threesome to the vets?Two separate carriers facing each other?:?

I bonded Piglet into one of my pairs last year. They were only bonded about 3 weeks before Sophie died so can't say how the bond would have worked out long term, but they got on fine together while they were bonded. Personally I don't really like trios much and would rather have pairs as they seem to work a lot better IMO

My buns have never been separated in two years,how do you take a threesome to the vets?Two separate carriers facing each other?:?

I take my 3 in a big cardboard box. Been trying to find a suitable carrier that's affordable but until then the boxes do the trick :)

Back