• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Kenco's Chin U/D Been to Vets and Poos.

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Just noticed today that Kenco has a tufty bit of fur hanging from his chin, on closer inspection it was a bit matted, and underneath the matted bit was a very bald bit where you can just see his whiskers coming out of bald skin :( It looks quite dry and scurfy as well.

Anyone know what this is and what treatment he may need? I have some sudocrem I could put on it but worry he'd just lick it off. He had a dental a few weeks ago (the first one he's needed in 7 months) and is in high spirits as usual so am not overly worried. Just wondered what it could be.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Could be dermatitis if he had been dribbling prior to his Dental. Removing any lose fur and allowing the air to get to it may be all that is required as long as he is not still dribbling.

If the skin looks very dry then applying a tiny bit of Ale Vera Gel should help.

I'd have a good feel along his mandible to make sure there are no lumps.

Thank you Jane, thats really helpful. Couldnt feel any lumps, we did check for that, but will have a double-check. Will also try and cut away the matted bit as well. I dont think he is still dribbling - there were no wet bits today - but will keep an eye on him.

Aloe Vera Gel - is that something I can just get from a chemist?

Thank you :wave:

Thank you Jane, thats really helpful. Couldnt feel any lumps, we did check for that, but will have a double-check. Will also try and cut away the matted bit as well. I dont think he is still dribbling - there were no wet bits today - but will keep an eye on him.

Aloe Vera Gel - is that something I can just get from a chemist?

Thank you :wave:

Yes or you can buy it in Health Food type Shops or Online :)

Aloe vera gel is in the penny sale at holland and barratt - I got some yesterday.

Update...

The patch on Kenco's chin has got a lot bigger. It actually starts on his top lip in the upper whiskers area and goes round the side of his face and under his chin and then all the way down his neck. There's some scurfiness and some of the hair comes out with dandruff flakes at the base. But a lot of it is clean and dry and no sign of flakes at all - just bald.

So off to the vets we went today - she looked at the flakes under the microscope but there is no sign of mites, she doesnt think its bacterial or fungal either. So she is treating him for mites. We've been given some Xeno Spot-on which we've just applied. Its all very odd. :?

We also wanted some Rearguard on prescription for him and the others as Kenco and Muesli are kidney/urine problem buns, and our vets are not supplying this any more but we have Xenex to use instead. But we cant apply it all the time he is having Xeno treatment (which we have to do for 4 weeks). So I hope that the flies dont bother him in the meantime :(

And lastly, he is doing some very odd shaped poos lately. He's always done odd shaped poos but these are photo-worthy in my opinion! Dont know what to do to help get them more normal - as he is not a big hay eater being a dental bun. (He last had a dental a couple of weeks ago).

2011-03-24173329.jpg

Compared to wifey bun Fay's golden poos:
2011-03-24173204.jpg

I hope you can find what works for him, but please, PLEASE exercise extreme caution with using Xenex which has the active ingredient Permethrin and is well known to cause all sorts of complications and reactions in rabbits (and personally speaking, one of mine died less than 24 hours after applying it to her).

I hope you can find what works for him, but please, PLEASE exercise extreme caution with using Xenex which has the active ingredient Permethrin and is well known to cause all sorts of complications and reactions in rabbits (and personally speaking, one of mine died less than 24 hours after applying it to her).

Oh gosh really :shock: I am so sorry :cry:

My vets said they had stopped prescribing Rearguard as when they looked at which one they wanted to stock, this was the one they liked best. So I cant get Rearguard from them.

I'm wondering whether to buy an over-the-counter one instead then?

The Xeno Spot-on is Ivermectin - she did make it clear that although they sound similar they are two different treatments - so hopefully that will help clear up whatever is wrong with his chin.

Xeno and Xenex are indeed completely different, so don't worry about the Xeno. I'm currently treating my licey mingers with Xeno.

I would suggest using the search feature on here and searching about Xenex because many people have had problems, from small localised reactions, to bigger burns to, in my bunny's case, death.

Can Rearguard be bought from places like VetUK? If its something you have used before? Or would your vets be able to order it in especially for you?

Xeno and Xenex are indeed completely different, so don't worry about the Xeno. I'm currently treating my licey mingers with Xeno.

I would suggest using the search feature on here and searching about Xenex because many people have had problems, from small localised reactions, to bigger burns to, in my bunny's case, death.

Can Rearguard be bought from places like VetUK? If its something you have used before? Or would your vets be able to order it in especially for you?

Thanks for that, we just had a mini-panic, but we havent applied any Xenex to any buns at all, thankfully. I am so so sorry to hear about your bun with the Xenex. I dont want to risk any problems. Will have a search, thank you.

I'm not sure if Rearguard can be bought from there, I'll have a look at their website. I'm not sure if we've used Rearguard before - I know we used an over-the-counter one for Twinkle and Star the first summer we had them, might have been the Beaphar one, whatever that is called? Its whatever is in Pets at Home as we used to get everything from there. The other bunnies havent had any treatment before to my knowledge but as we have two urine incontinent buns I want to give them all all the protection I can.

Back