• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Zander is poorly, vets at 11.50 - *UPDATE - In statis*

Rykat

Mama Doe
Hiya. Just wanted to ask if you could spare any vibes for my OAP bun Zander, he's not doing too well and I'm really worried.

He was fine yesterday daytime but last night he didn't want his food, he was acting strange and quiet but alert. He seemed restless and then was panting so checked him over, tum was fine, we had poops etc but I gave him some metacam and infacol and spent the night cuddling him. He ate some greens last night and again today but he's now tooth grinding. He's still alert, but lying down and i'm becoming more worried. He's nearly 10, never been poorly and no tooth problems, but I'm hoping it it's just a small spur.

Will post when we get back.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your messages x

Zander is in statis, his tummy was empty ... he's had painkiller and metaclopromide injection, and I have to ring vet tomorrow.

He's eaten a tiny but of greens, piece of carrot and approx a tablespoon of recovery. I'm syringe feeding him every half hour but he's really worrying me.

He's in my bedroom in the warmth in the "hospital cage" and he's had a little wash to get the food off his mouth.

I have just dropped some oxbow critical care round for Zander as he was refusing the science recovery. He took a little while I was there but he is very quiet so any vibes you can spare for him I'm sure would be appreciated by Rykat.

Sending Zander MEGA vibes for a full recovery.

Little update - I have had a text and Zander is doing better today and nibbling a little hay, no pellets yet. Some small poops too.

Sending lovely Zander lots of nose rubs and more nomming vibes.

Hi all. Thanks for your messages of support.

Zander is up and down at the moment and worrying me sick.

He perked up late saturday night and sunday morning, and I put him back in his cage so he had more room to hop around. Initially he was fine but became quieter, just sitting and staring in the same spot so I put him back in the "hospital cage" and he's in the lounge.

He's nibbling carrot batons, and a having a little nibble of hay every so often but refusing everything else.

Still syringing the critical care (I'm in work today but OH on nurse duty) but he's quiet, skinny and just not right.

He was back at the vets last night and had injection of metacam, metaclopromide and B12 and we have to ring them today.

I worked out last night that we will have had him for 9 years in oct, and he was at least 18months old when I adopted him.

I'm really worried that he's giving up.

I love all my buns but Zander is the only one left from my original group and he's my boy.

Have ordered loads of excel herbs, timothy hay etc so hopefully they'll arrive tomorrow.

Our vet can't feel any obstruction in his tummy, no hair balls, no physical reason for this.

Back