• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ceacotroph question - EEEEE! Post 50

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone else have bunnies that wont eat thier ceaco's from concreate :?

I keep finding them squished on the paving slabs, there are none inside which is making me wonder if the paving is making them cold and thus putting them off of eating them :?

They dont seem to be ill at all, Im just very confused :roll:

Last edited:
Its my understanding that rabbits take the cecals directly from the anus so maybe if they drop to the floor they are less likely to be eaten.

Does anyone else have bunnies that wont eat thier ceaco's from concreate :?

I keep finding them squished on the paving slabs, there are none inside which is making me wonder if the paving is making them cold and thus putting them off of eating them :?

They dont seem to be ill at all, Im just very confused :roll:

More likely that the ones done on the concrete are occuring at certain times of the day and may not be palatable (due to a mild dysbiosis you are unaware of) OR, bunny feels too vulnerable outside to consume them. Eating caecs is risky business as you take your eyes off the game (and for a prey species you don't do this if you don't feel safe).

More likely that the ones done on the concrete are occuring at certain times of the day and may not be palatable (due to a mild dysbiosis you are unaware of) OR, bunny feels too vulnerable outside to consume them. Eating caecs is risky business as you take your eyes off the game (and for a prey species you don't do this if you don't feel safe).

Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do? There doesnt seem to be any coincedence (sp?) between times, yesterday there was none during the day but a fair few over night where as before they have been done during them day.

They are on a hay, pellet and dried herb/flower only diet atm :wave:

They have started to leave these inside now, today the ones they have left are all singlular "grapes" (or doubles) but not bunches :? they're also making the odd wet poo, it looks like a fully formed poo, is fiberous inside but moist on the outside :?

What should I do? :(

They have started to leave these inside now, today the ones they have left are all singlular "grapes" (or doubles) but not bunches :? they're also making the odd wet poo, it looks like a fully formed poo, is fiberous inside but moist on the outside :?

What should I do? :(

Nutmeg does that sometimes. They're ceacotroph consistency but a smattering of singular balls. I haven't worried about it. I do find all of mine can sometimes be a bit messy with their cecals.

Nutmeg does that sometimes. They're ceacotroph consistency but a smattering of singular balls. I haven't worried about it. I do find all of mine can sometimes be a bit messy with their cecals.

yep exactly what this is :? I wouldnt be so worried if it wasnt coming up to spring/summer, Im really worried about flies :?

I caught Sebastian tummy pressing earlier (gave him some metacam and metaclop) so I need to sort this out. He is still eating and pooping (all poops are a nice colour) but there must be something going on in there :?

I cleared up years of dysbiosis with Twinkle with PL and Thumps' help.. hay and water only for her.... it stopped complete cow pat splats. I know this is a rather radical diet and I am not saying you should keep your bunny on hay only, but to stop them for the time being I would do the hay and water and then slowly try introducing items back in one at a time and over a long period of time.

Would you put both of them on hay only? or seperate them so that Mae can have pellets hmm :?

Would you slowly stop the pellets?

How long would you wait until introducing foods? Until the ceacos clear up completely for a week or 2?

Sorry for all the questions :oops:

When Twinkle is on the hay only diet I usually have pellets in my pocket, and Sparkle has learnt to come up to me for his treats.... Twinkle doesnt come rushing forward anymore as she knows she is not getting any... but loves her hay.

I stopped all foods other than hay straight away and I didnt stop the hay and water until all the excess caecs had gone... took Twinkle about three months to become clean....

I did try to add more stuff back in slowly, but Twinkle has a very senstitive tummy so she cannot tolerate anything else at the moment... she went back to just hay only.

thankyou for your help :love: I think I will gradually stop his pellets over a week or 2, just to make sure he can maintain his weight :)

You've been really helpful thankyou :love:

thankyou for your help :love: I think I will gradually stop his pellets over a week or 2, just to make sure he can maintain his weight :)

You've been really helpful thankyou :love:

Thats a good idea.. I wouldnt say be so drastic as I was with Twinkle, but I had to with her, as she was constantly doing puddles every day....

Good luck!

bless her :( she mst be much happier now though :)

Thankyou!

I just got her tummy sorted when she needed a dental, got statis and then a repiratory infection... so she is not too happy at the moment, but we are getting over it.

Strangely enough when she is on gut stimulants she can eat as much veg/pellets and grass as she likes without getting a mucky bum so she is making the most of this episode of lots of treats!!

I just got her tummy sorted when she needed a dental, got statis and then a repiratory infection... so she is not too happy at the moment, but we are getting over it.

Strangely enough when she is on gut stimulants she can eat as much veg/pellets and grass as she likes without getting a mucky bum so she is making the most of this episode of lots of treats!!

oh the poor thing! Atleast theres a perk too being ill ;) did your vet not suggest long term gut stimulants so she can eat a varied diet? Or does he not know the affects? :)

oh the poor thing! Atleast theres a perk too being ill ;) did your vet not suggest long term gut stimulants so she can eat a varied diet? Or does he not know the affects? :)

He says hay is good enough for her, and I think he would rather her manage without meds as there will be nowhere for us to go if she goes into statis if she is on gut stimulants all her life... there is nothing else that would give her a boost to get her tummy working again...

He says hay is good enough for her, and I think he would rather her manage without meds as there will be nowhere for us to go if she goes into statis if she is on gut stimulants all her life... there is nothing else that would give her a boost to get her tummy working again...

ahh okay :) my vet once sggested long term gut motility meds if we couldnt get Mae to eat without them after bloat :)

Just been watching the buns very closely and watched Mae spit out half of a Ceaco :? maybe its her?! I dont know :? if it is her this makes things sooo much more difficult, I struggle to keep the weight on her anyway!

I've had to wash her feet this afternoon as they were dirty, stained and have a squashed ceaco on one of them :? Im so confused :?

Back