• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ulcers

Snowy

Wise Old Thumper
I have a bunny with ulcerated legs, what is the best thing to put on them to ease the soreness?

Poor Bun, that does sound sore :cry:

Treatment would depend on what is causing the ulcers and if there is active infection going on.

I use sudocream for ava's legs as she pees down them and it can cause extreme sores. I'm not sure for ulcers i'd check with the vets though in any case so that whatever you use doesn't aggravate things further- if there is an active infection- baytril will most likely be prescribed by the vets to reduce any swelling etc and clear that up. Again though- vet advice is your best option , let us know how it goes xx

Hi Theo,

Donna has the answer from Jason! She visited him today, it is flamazine. Any problems you have getting it, he will prescribe it for you. Obviously you are on his 'favoured list' now, grr, we are so jealous:lol:

Donna has another appointment Friday;)

Alice

I have used Flamazine before on Inca when her legs were badly urine scalded.
I actually found Manuka Honey better.

Hi Theo,

Donna has the answer from Jason! She visited him today, it is flamazine. Any problems you have getting it, he will prescribe it for you. Obviously you are on his 'favoured list' now, grr, we are so jealous:lol:

Donna has another appointment Friday;)

Alice

That's fantastic Alice, thank you very much, will see if I can get some if not I will make an appointment to see Jason:love::love::love:, failing that I will have to fine another reason to visit him;)

Poor Bun, that does sound sore :cry:

Treatment would depend on what is causing the ulcers and if there is active infection going on.

It's Maisie, one of my disabled bunnies and it's where her leg is so twisted and it rubs against the bone on the other part of the leg, she is on antibiotics and I have tried all the usual creams but they don;t seem to clear it up completely

That's fantastic Alice, thank you very much, will see if I can get some if not I will make an appointment to see Jason:love::love::love:, failing that I will have to fine another reason to visit him;)

Humm, any excuse, you really are such a naughty lady:no: Can't see the MASSIVE attraction myself:angel:

Hi Justine,
When we rehome rabbits from Windwhistle Warren we have a list of 'good' rabbit vets. Jason is in the 'extraordinary' list. Believe you me, if you can get your rabbits to him you will not be disappointed.

Alice

I have to agree with this, I went to see him with a rabbit and he was utterly fantastic, he was so thorough, he went over every hair on her body and examined anything and everything on her, the examination alone took 35 minutes and I came out feeling very confident that we had at last got an answer, I would trust him with any of my animals because at least you know he is going to do a proper job and not miss anything, which at the end of the day is what we need, decent vets

I live in Brockworth which is quite a way to Quedgley compared to the vet I use, but I am now considering changing (not that I think my vets isn't very good). Is Jason more expensive than other vets in Gloucester?

Would you be able to send me your list of good rabbit vets in the Gloucester area please.

Back