• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

allergies to rabbits & rabbit stuff?

My rabbits are usually in my open plan living area ( dining room, lounge & kitchen) but occasionally i put a couple +cage in my son's bedroom, whilst cleaning and tidying.

Now my son has developed a serious allergy, as soon as he goes in his bedroom. I am in the process of removing the carpet & mattress & duvet and wooden cabin bed to destroy. I brought a few of his clothes out of his room and put them in living room, and within minutes my son was covered in a rash again! So all his clothes are going through high temp wash - twice then high temp tumble dry .

So my question is, is it possible there was something to do with the rabbits that has penetrated his room? I think it is unlikely (and so does doctor) as my son doesn't react to the rabbits being in living area :?:?:? Could something from the hay have got in his carpet and spread to all other soft materials?

The living area has no carpet - just wooden floorboards still awaiting laminated boards to go on top. And settee is leather.

Thoughts? I really don't want to have to move buns outside just yet.:cry:

Last edited:
If the rabbits don't go in there then I'd doubt it very much. I have mild asthma and bad hayfever but I don't have troubles unless I'm moving a lot of hay around. Really rabbits are very clean animals and allergies are more to do with hay than the rabbits.

I can't hold or touch my rabbit for very long because if I do my chest gets tight and it feels like I can't breathe. I have to wash my hands and change my clothes straight away. I'm fine with cleaning out the hay, straw etc.

I do think it is more likely to be dust/dust mite in the carpet - or maybe mold/mildew as there was a damp problem in the room at one point, but I have been running a dehumidifier for months after fixing the problem (leaking outside drainpipe) so have reduced the damp long before the allergy started. I'm glad most of you think it probably isn't the bunnies - as that is what I thought. And my boys love the bunnies being in the house (problem is my eldest would have them in bed with him if he could!!)

I know a family that have kids with dust-mite allergies and they have memory foam mattresses and leather bed-steads as dust-mites cant live on them? They also hoover every night before bed.

hmm I have an allergy to their hay, but it doesn't cause major problems. Can you ask your doctor for a blood test to determine the allergy?

Back