• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Conti Giants

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
Please can someone tell me a few things about them:-

What is their general demeanor (I know that all rabbits have their very own personalities but I'm just wondering what the general personality is, i.e. like with frenchis being so laid back).

How long do they live?

Is it okay bonding them with smaller buns? (I have bonded my frenchie with smaller breed but conti is bigger).

Are they still considered under the Small Animal rabbit section of animals?

My conti ( Bertha) is very gentle and not agressive to any of my other buns at all.

Bertha is bonded with a dwarf lop size bunny and it was a mega easy bond :)

Bertha is the first conti I've had so I can't really comment on lifespan but as with other giants I think its less than a smaller bunny.

Last edited:
Never owned one but I know a bit about them. :)

Yes you can bond them with smaller bunnies. :) Ann (Jazzywoo) has an adorable photo of one of her contis with vivian's (vee-jay) nethie! :love: Not an official bond but they were getting along well. Also I know quite a few people with contis living with smaller buns. :)

I think they live up to about 4 but Ann had one who lived to 7. :thumb: She will probably be on this thread soon. :D

Most contis are gentle giants, but not all. I know a few who are definitely not to be trifled with.

They can be bonded with smaller rabbits. Loki, our Conti with head tilt is now bonded with two lionhead does, and Neptune our badtempered youngster is bonded with a dwarf lop doe. So far he has been fine with her, but I did the bonding within a couple of days of neutering him to make sure he had only one thing on his mind. I keep them where they can't see other rabbits to help prevent any agression. So far he has only biten people.

I have heard they only live to about 5, which is worrying as Loki is now 4. I'm sure it was age that got Hercules but I don't know exactly how old he was. The night before I found him dead he was his usual happy self; my last sight of him was of him picking up an apple by its stem and hopping off to hide it from Loki. In the morning he was dead:cry::cry::cry:

I'm so sorry you lost your Hercules.:cry:

Is it easier to bond a conti baby to your other rabbits rather than an adult conti?

Lifespan would be a worry but not too much as I know they can live longer as my Darcy is a frenchie and he is 7 this year.:love:

Last edited:
Most contis are gentle giants, but not all. I know a few who are definitely not to be trifled with.

I would definitely agree with this!! :shock::lol:

Our Archie is a big, daft, soft lad - where as Nala can be a very fiesty lady!! She's fine most of the time with Archie, but every now & again she puts her man in his place!! :shock: :lol: She's also not a people bunny where as Archie is - Archie loves nothing more than cuddling up to me on the settee for a love :love:

Evie is also very fiesty & I've not managed to bond her with Finlay as I'd first planned, because she kept wanting to attack him :( That said I think that's because she's blind - she's also very, very confident. She too loves cuddles with me & with Mark, but will bite us when she feels like it! :shock:

Lifespan is on average about 5 years - our bridge bunnies Jemima (she was a british giant not conti) was 5 years old when we lost her & Emily was about 3 years old :cry: I am convinced that we lost Emily so young because she'd been kept in a small hutch as a youngster - she had terrible problems with muscle weakness & her back because of the lack of ability to exercise properly & build her muscles up :cry:

I know Kayj had one of her conti's live to 7 years + :)

Emily lived with Archie, so had never been with a smaller bun, but Jemima lived with Alfie who was a very small cross breed bunny :love: They were a very odd couple but they adored each other :love:

If you want to ask me anything else, just pm me :wave: Or if you've still got my mobile number (or want me to send it again) feel free to give me a ring :)

Back