• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing with a plastic base? AAAHH!

zayna1

Warren Scout
I've been looking for ages now for something to accommodate two indoor medium sized rabbits. They are currently outside, but I want to bring them in. However, I have had them inside before, in a playpen set up in the corner of the room. They ended up chewing off all of the wallpaper from the corner through the bars, tearing off newspaper that was in-between them and the floor then deciding to leave cecotropes where it's been ripped, which I have to scrape off of the wooden floor :censored:. They also peed on the walls! (this all made my parents absolutely furious). One is already neutered, and has been litter-trained since we got him (he took to it himself) and the other is soon to be neutered, but she choses when she likes the tray :lol:. I want to try to convince my parents to let me bring them back inside. The rabbit cages are too small, but I want something in which I can have a plastic tray with high edges, to prevent wood-chips and hay, and dropped pellets etc from being flung out, and also to prevent pee from getting on the walls. Do you have any idea on how I could do this? It also has to be big enough for 2 grown rabbits, and it has to look 'neat and tidy', at least on the outside. I like the look of those nic-cube condos, but i'm worried that they'd still get to the walls. Do you know of how I could prevent them from getting to the walls? Thanks very much! :D

when i had my parrot, after decorating I drilled clear perspex sheets to the wall behind her cage, voila wipe clean unrippable wallpaper, she was a sod for flicking fruit at the walls:roll: you should have seen the mess she could make with a strawberry :lol:

when i had my parrot, after decorating I drilled clear perspex sheets to the wall behind her cage, voila wipe clean unrippable wallpaper, she was a sod for flicking fruit at the walls:roll: you should have seen the mess she could make with a strawberry :lol:

Projectile poos when laying are the problem with my walls and the bird! Sickening!

Could you not just put some sheets of cardboard between the walls and the cage? Easy to replace if they get wee'd on and keep the wall clean. Then you could use nic cubes for the cage

lol i've tried the carboard...my mum really HATES it, she says it looks really trampy like a 'zoo' :lol::lol: (dont ask..:shock:) But yeah I wanted something permanent, so i could wipe clean/take outside and jet wash with the hose! :D I've found these urine guards, but I don't think they'd work well because of the litter boxes? :S

I agree, perspex is your best option. You can either redecorate behind and then use clear or use coloured in a shade that will match the rest of the decor or just plain white. Similar would be kitchen splash backs.

I'd also suggest using short pieces around the edge of the pen to create a tray. For the base use lino, you can glue it on a sheet of hardboard if you want to make it more sturdy.

Hi!
In another post about NIC cubes / C&C cubes...."RU member Nessar" suggested "Correx" - here is the link:
ETA: link for correx, didnt find I needed any in the end though as hes litter trained. You have to create an account to find out postage I think, It was about a tenner for 6 sheets for me I think, was a while ago http://www.theonestopplasticsshop.co...-c-68_696.html

hope this helps!:wave:

Are they neutered?

I have a couple of areas where mine sometimes spray, unsurprisingly these are areas near the doors. It's rare though as I can keep them apart most of the time, so I just spray vinegar on them and wipe with kitchen roll.

As for wallpaper, buns will be buns!! Strip it and paint ;)

Back