• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does just been neutered

Lilly-Rose

New Kit
Our two little gals, Lilly-Rose and Tilly - both Dutch buns, 9 months old, have been to the vets today for their operations.:(

The are now home and in the house as it is too cold to put them outside. So far they are very quiet and have not eaten but I have put some pellets, hay and a little broccoli in their carry box (temp home for tonight). They also have access to water.

I hope they will still get on when we put them back in their hutch - maybe tomorrow but the first issue is getting them to feed. The vet has advised to bring them back in the morning if no signs of eating - they are not together so that we can make sure they are both doing what they should.

Does anyone have experience of helping buns to get their eating going - any tips and should I keep an eye on them through the night?

They are unlikely to try to eat until late this evening or during the night. When you say they are in Carry Boxes do you mean that they are shut in there ? They really need more space than that as it is important that they pass some feces and urine and they are less likely to do that if shut in a small travel box all night. Can you provide them with a bit more space ?

Also, being separated will be stressful for them. Personally I would allow them to be together even if it means that you have to sit by them to monitor their eating.

They are likely to drink before they eat and most post GA Rabbits prefer to drink from a bowl than a bottle.

Thanks - I will see if we can give them more room and change the bottles for bowls. I read that does take a bit longer to come round. They can move around and they are sleeping on a blanket but I have an idea to let them have more space.

I will be keeping a close eye on them during the night. Always a bit stressful but fingers crossed all will be well by morning.

Back