• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bailey - upset tummy please any advice

BaileyBunn

Warren Scout
bailey went off her food just over a week ago, she started producing very runny droppings, similar to cecals but less formed and then the occasional very small droppings, as shes had dental issues (spurs on back molars) before i assumed it was her teeth, took her to the vets tuesday and they booked her in for a dental wednesday, shes come through fine and i got her home thursday afternoon as she had started eating greens and hay and produced a small amount of droppings aswell as a fair few wee's. However when i asked the vets how bad her teeth were they said that the spurs were minute and hadnt even caused any inflamation on her gums or tongue...so this lead me and i think them to believe her teeth were not the issue...
lastnight however she literally started doing the same as before the dental, runny or very small droppings and she wont eat any pellets just greens such as dandelion leaves and parsley, shes booked in again this evening, i literally have no idea whats causeing this and i dont think the vets do ether...has anyone experiances this before? Any advice is much appreciated
x

just been reading up online, anyone think it could possibley be intestinal parasites, such as coccidia (Eimeria spp.), roundworms, tapeworms? x

Has bun undergone any bloods, or urine analysis? Just curious if your vets have done so, before giving up and not knowing what it is?

no not yet, im expecting them to suggest this tonight, am slighley worried as ive just paid them £100 for the dental when it wasnt actually needed, i dont see them offering me discount or very little discount at least for bloods and xrays :(

i think once she starts eating pellets again im hoping she will go back to normal...ive tried warm mushy pellets but shes not interested...any ideas on how to make pellets more appealing?
heres look like this at the moment:
http://www.fuzzy-rabbit.com/sick.htm the 3rd picture down appropratley named "runny poo"

Last edited:
Okay, if they look like the 3rd picture, thats a caecotroph, which they normally eat, if all is well.

Lots of causes of excess ones, dental issues, overweight, bad diet, etc.

What pellets does she have? What is she eating at the moment, or has eaten?

ETA: do you mean 3rd poo pic, or 3rd pic in total?

unfortunetley i meant the second poo pick...
at the moment she will only eat dandelions, fresh grass bits of hay parsley, carrot tops, mint and the dried country garden herb mix that you can buy, she just went mad for fresh grass (this cant upset her tummy like to much parsley etc...though can it?)
she's just had a big drink aswell.... shes reasonabley bright but does seem uncomfortable about somthing, she keeps over grooming and pulling bits of hay out from underneath her.
She's on science selective with fenugreek pellets at the moment, i bought her some musili cerial type stuff as this is easier for her to eat when her teeth are causing her discomfort (shes had this before and it doesnt cause a stomach upset) she's had burgess excell in the past, am considering getting her some of this as i know it doesnt upset her tummy and seeing if she goes for it...

unfortunetley i meant the second poo pick...
at the moment she will only eat dandelions, fresh grass bits of hay parsley, carrot tops, mint and the dried country garden herb mix that you can buy, she just went mad for fresh grass (this cant upset her tummy like to much parsley etc...though can it?)
she's just had a big drink aswell.... shes reasonabley bright but does seem uncomfortable about somthing, she keeps over grooming and pulling bits of hay out from underneath her.
She's on science selective with fenugreek pellets at the moment, i bought her some musili cerial type stuff as this is easier for her to eat when her teeth are causing her discomfort (shes had this before and it doesnt cause a stomach upset) she's had burgess excell in the past, am considering getting her some of this as i know it doesnt upset her tummy and seeing if she goes for it...

I'm really out of my depth here, so i'm regurgitating information.

It sounds like your bun is suffering from dysbiosis (sp?). You need to strip her diet back to basics.

So from now on, cut it down to hay only and pellets, cut out the veg/herbs and dont keep changing pellets/muesli etc - sudden changes in diet can cause massive gut instability, which sounds like what you are experiencing.

I'm praying Jane / thumps_ / fluffybunnie come along as they all have bucket loads more experience at this than me.

I'm really out of my depth here, so i'm regurgitating information.

It sounds like your bun is suffering from dysbiosis (sp?). You need to strip her diet back to basics.

So from now on, cut it down to hay only and pellets, cut out the veg/herbs and dont keep changing pellets/muesli etc - sudden changes in diet can cause massive gut instability, which sounds like what you are experiencing.

I'm praying Jane / thumps_ / fluffybunnie come along as they all have bucket loads more experience at this than me.

Carlo had the unformed poops, and I just fed hay for a while and reintroduced stuff slowly

Is the bunny used to grass? If bunny isn't used to eating grass too much can upset the stomach.

Is she eating any hay at all?

I wonder if a pro biotic might help her get back on track, something like fibre plex.

Obviously we need to get to the bottom of whats causing it though.

shes not usually a big grass eater no...shes just eaten quite alot aswel...
she was having fibreplex but the vets forgot to give it back to me when i picked her up yesterday, she is obvioulsey hungry, im conserned that if i take away all the green bits she wont eat anything though

I don't know what the more experienced people think but personally I'd stop with the grass if her tummy is not used to it. It could be making things worse.

You can buy fibreplex at vet uk which arrives fairly quickly. Or ask your vets for some.

What about hay?

shes not usually a big grass eater no...shes just eaten quite alot aswel...
she was having fibreplex but the vets forgot to give it back to me when i picked her up yesterday, she is obvioulsey hungry, im conserned that if i take away all the green bits she wont eat anything though

She wont starve if shes a good hay eater - does she eat hay well?

As Amy says, a pro-biotic, such as Biolapis in her water might help re-stabilise things.

I'm sorry I don't have time to read the whole thread through properly :oops:

But a few quick points:
Pain can cause dysbiosis and if this has been going on for some time, the caecal upset, then it can take months sometimes to reestablish the correct floral balance.

Dental issues are highly connected to caecal function.

Grass (in Spring... so now!) can cause bouts of acute dysbiosis as it is high in sugar when growth spurting and introduction if normally a house bun or restricted access should be observed.

Greens CAN cause dysbiosis if bun is already predisposed or already has an established dysbiosis. Certain 'bagged' and prewashed herbs from certain supermarkets such as Tesco 'appear' to be rinsed in chlorine as a preservative and this effectively wipes out the good bacteria in the caecum.

Once ALL underlying causes have been ruled out by a bunny savy vet then the diet should be stripped back to purely hay (and a good quality high fibre hay (ideally timothy or timothy rich or a golden meadow hay) for a few days if not weeks/months until normal caecal balance resumes.

Have to dash now sorry but hope this helps x

Yeah ive taken away the grass now, shes very lively and seems hungry, am going to see what the vets suggest, i know this might be frowned upon by some people but im not keen to let them do bloods etc...yet as she is still eating, hopefully she will pick up over the weekend, shes just produced alot of very small droppings... its very confusing as shes hungry, wants to eat, bright and lively but its just not passing through her properley, i feel she needs to start getting pellets inside her again and hopefully will then start producing normal droppings...

Yeah ive taken away the grass now, shes very lively and seems hungry, am going to see what the vets suggest, i know this might be frowned upon by some people but im not keen to let them do bloods etc...yet as she is still eating, hopefully she will pick up over the weekend, shes just produced alot of very small droppings... its very confusing as shes hungry, wants to eat, bright and lively but its just not passing through her properley, i feel she needs to start getting pellets inside her again and hopefully will then start producing normal droppings...

:(

Poor Bailey - i hope the improved diet helps and please keep us updated.

Back