• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sex Change?

Rabbitfan

Young Bun
I know this probably sounds a ridiculous question but can rabbits change sex in their first 12 months?
I have been taking rabbits in for 20 odd years. I'm aware they're very difficult to sex when very young but usually at 12 weeks old it's really obvious.
Last July a litter of 3 month olds came in, I sexed them and kept the girls together or had the boys neutered. This month at approx. 12 months of age I've just had two litters. Both daddies are 'Does' from that same litter and I'm in shock. When the first litter appeared, the first thing I did was check that none of the girls were boys and I swear they weren't. I've just been doing some grooming and noticed the biggest pair of b---s and I swear they weren't there 3 weeks ago. Then another litter appeared in another pen and Rose is now Rodney!! I've never made such a complete **** up (if you'll excuse the pun!) before.

Maybe the b**** hadn't dropped when you checked. I had the same thing with gpigs and the vet said that sometimes the b**** can stay hidden high up. hth x

certainly not change sex, but is it possible, he/she could be a haemaphrodite? Thats certainly plausible if you dont know the genetic history etc.

No, they cannot change sex. But Bucks can retract their testicles. However, a Vet should be able to feel them in the lower abdomen.

If the Bucks (that you thought were Does) were with the actual Does when they kindled then those Does are likely to be pregnant again.

If the Bucks (that you thought were Does) were with the actual Does when they kindled then those Does are likely to be pregnant again.

I'm well aware of this,:cry: the situation couldn't get any worse!! I've got a waiting list of rabbits needing to come in when I've got space and Lord knows how many bubbas on the way, a possibility of 3 pregnant females. Arrrrrrrrgh!!
After all these years I don't think I'll trust myself again.:?

No, i dont think they can change genders :? :lol:

When George was little we sexed him as a boy, then a few weeks later he was old enough to be neutered... he didnt have any plums :? So we took him through to the vets for a checkup and get him booked in for his 'spay' The vet said he was a girl.

The day he went in for his 'spay' the vet phoned me and said that he had found his plums! :lol: So George went back to being a boy again :lol:

So i guess some buns are harder than others to sex :wave:

Can't they have permanently retained testicles as well? So they wouldn't be obvious?

Yes they can, but sexing rabbits isn't simply a case of flipping them over and looking for testicles. It should be obvious by examining the genitals themselves; by pressing gently by the opening the bits pop out in different ways depending on whether they are male or female. I would suggest that this is a much more accurate way of sexing than just looking for testicles. The presence of testicles does, of course, tell you that you have a boy, but their absence doesn't always tell you that you have a girl :)

Yes they can, but sexing rabbits isn't simply a case of flipping them over and looking for testicles. It should be obvious by examining the genitals themselves; by pressing gently by the opening the bits pop out in different ways depending on whether they are male or female. I would suggest that this is a much more accurate way of sexing than just looking for testicles. The presence of testicles does, of course, tell you that you have a boy, but their absence doesn't always tell you that you have a girl

I totally agree with you.

Back