• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this okay?

ChristyRose

Alpha Buck
I have 2 groups of rabbits living in my summer house. One group of 2 and one group of 3. Each group has about 13ft x 8ft to run around in. They each have a hutch, pipes, pots and boxes to play with.
Now last summer I used to put them out on the grass and they used to dig holes. I think it was the mainly the female one. If she was neutered would she stop doing this? The males just scratch the surface but dont dig tunnels. I am still waiting for the lawn to recover.
Would it be cruel to just keep them in the summer house? The door is left open when it is nice (with a mesh stairgate so they dont get out) and windows are open all the time. When I've got the female done and the grass has recovered then I can put them out again - but I dont know when that will be. Maybe a month or two?

Rabbits dig holes, they enjoy doing it and should be given the opportunity to do so. You should get her neutered, but it won't stop her digging. You could set aside an area for digging, a flower bed type area. This might stop her digging in the lawn. In my experience they don't like digging through grass, they're much rather eat the grass.

I would have thought a summer house would get too hot in the summer. Rabbits can't sweat, they have only their ears to cool them down. In a hot room they can die.

What a good idea!! So, if I position their run partly on the grass and partly on the flower bed, then hopefully they'll dig in the earth and not on the grass? It is well worth a try. I didnt like the idea of keeping them in the summerhouse all summer as they do love lying out in the sun and they binky about outside which they dont do in the summer house even though they've got the room.
I did want to fence off the patio in front of the summerhouse and part of the flower bed but OH said he wasnt going to build anymore fences!! May need abit of sweet talking. :lol:

Back