• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pregnancy babies! u/d Baby update, day 10 help!!

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
How do you tell a hormonal bun from a pregnant bun?

I seriously think she is pregnant, and about to pop. But I am so hoping I am completely wrong and she is hormonal and bloated or something like that.

Woke up to nesting this morning, I have had none pregnant buns nest due to hormones but dates kinda tally and on trying to pick her up, she is round, full, uncomfortable and scoffing anything and everything.

I am now really worried, as I thought my girl was older ( out of the realms of safely giving birth) and sought assurances that the male was completely neutered before putting together. :cry::cry::cry:

I SO WANT THIS TO BE A PHANTOM!

Last edited:
Confused :?

Are they your Rabbits ?

What makes you think that the Buck may be entire? You can certainly tell !!

Phantom pregnancies can strongly mirror the real thing so the only sure way to differentiate would be to palpate her abdomen (if you know what and where to feel) or get an U/S scan done.

Can you nip them to the vets to get them to check? Wishing her all the best. Am sorry i'm useless!! xxx

Confused :?

Are they your Rabbits ?

What makes you think that the Buck may be entire? You can certainly tell !!

Phantom pregnancies can strongly mirror the real thing so the only sure way to differentiate would be to palpate her abdomen (if you know what and where to feel) or get an U/S scan done.

Yes they are my rabbits.

I know you can tell, and I couldn't see/feel any plums, however, as he hasn't always been mine, and I didn't take him for the op, we have all heard of vets getting it wrong.

I have had rabbits phantom before, when put with a male (Charlie was neutered whilst with me), but this just seems different

Yes they are my rabbits.

I know you can tell, and I couldn't see/feel any plums, however, as he hasn't always been mine, and I didn't take him for the op, we have all heard of vets getting it wrong.

I have had rabbits phantom before, when put with a male (Charlie was neutered whilst with me), but this just seems different

Maybe ask your Vet to examine her then as that and/or an U/S is the only way to be certain. As I said, phantoms can mimic the real thing to the point of an enlarged abdomen, enlarged nipples and milk production.

how long ago was he neutered? as they can be stil lfertile at 6weeks after the op? so i hear?! it does sounds suspect but i have had dora pre neuter rip all her fur out from under her stomach she was bald :( build a nest and time and time again get hormonal and eat lots having phantoms but she didnt feel or look preg and i had no males around then. good luck take her to your vets maybe can do an emergancy spey although if nesting and is preg i would think too late but vet should be able to feel if any kits in her? not being antagonistic just wondering if there was a reason she hasnt been done pre bonding? x

I probably wouldn't have put a bun I didn't know whether was neutered with an unspayed female, but vet should be able to tell if

a) girlie bun is preggars
b) boy has been neutered

so vets:D Good luck

Sorry I've been out, vets closes at 5pm for the weekend.

Female I knew to be intact, but rescue assured me that male was repeatedly examined and they were told he was neutered. There are no furry plums. Just checked again.

I am hoping that this seems to be a very real looking phantom, I never knew about the Phantom pregnancies strongly mirroring the real thing. I thought it was just a case of nesting and fur pulling

There's no much you can do apart from remove the other rabbit from the hutch (if he's still in there), and feed mum extra food to help with milk production.

If she's in a hutch with a ramp, you'll need to block off access via the ramp because babies could end up falling down and getting killed/injured

I'm really hoping these rabbits aren't from where I think they might be from :?

Good luck, and got my fingers crossed for the little ones :)

Had you separated them before this morning? If not, she will most probably be pregnant again.

Seperated them yesterday afternoon :D So thankful I did! Its bad enough having babies here, but to continue th cycle would have been bad form on my part. I know what I need to do, just so scared for my girl but she seems fine this morning.

I have seen and helped so many rescues, I know the score. These babies should not be here. A person i trusted said he was neutered, vet checked, I found no plums.

Argh, First pay was going on isla's neuter! Now I have two to neuter!! This feels like such a mess. I never wanted babies!

That's good they're separated.

Hope the little ones do well, and sorry for my blunt post :oops:. I had a bun on my knee, who always moves at the wrong time :lol:

There's no much you can do apart from remove the other rabbit from the hutch (if he's still in there), and feed mum extra food to help with milk production.

If she's in a hutch with a ramp, you'll need to block off access via the ramp because babies could end up falling down and getting killed/injured

I'm really hoping these rabbits aren't from where I think they might be from :?

Good luck, and got my fingers crossed for the little ones :)

I seperated yesterday, before babies. gave plenty of hay and some greens. I checked on her at 1.30 am, no babies.

She is in the shed part of the big kennel. Gave greens and unlimited pellets this morning, as I knew nothing about this she feels a bit skinny. I can feel he spine more than normal. Would feeding unlimited help her put back on weight too, or should I consider some oats?

The problem with where she is, is that Arthur is on the other side, which means disturbing her to see to him. This morning I put her in the garden and saw to him, does that sound ok? Dreading cleaning out day.

Oh Dear.....................

Understatment of the year Jane!! Fuming here! I have been trying to get in touch with 'rescue' that Arthur came from, but they havn't been on for three days, not on facebook like they normally are. Just found a mobile number,on their website, but too :censored: off to phone, so text instead.

I can't believe I stood up for this person on a public forum, replied to many PM's that I have got questioning their ethics, and I have this happen.

Babies will NOT be going back to this rescue.

Understatment of the year Jane!! Fuming here! I have been trying to get in touch with 'rescue' that Arthur came from, but they havn't been on for three days, not on facebook like they normally are. Just found a mobile number,on their website, but too :censored: off to phone, so text instead.

I can't believe I stood up for this person on a public forum, replied to many PM's that I have got questioning their ethics, and I have this happen.

Babies will NOT be going back to this rescue.

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry this has happened,

I seperated yesterday, before babies. gave plenty of hay and some greens. I checked on her at 1.30 am, no babies.

She is in the shed part of the big kennel. Gave greens and unlimited pellets this morning, as I knew nothing about this she feels a bit skinny. I can feel he spine more than normal. Would feeding unlimited help her put back on weight too, or should I consider some oats?

The problem with where she is, is that Arthur is on the other side, which means disturbing her to see to him. This morning I put her in the garden and saw to him, does that sound ok? Dreading cleaning out day.

I'd probably just feed extra rations of everything she usually eats. You could even add a few junior pellets to increase her protein intake, but remember to add anything new gradually.

Re. Arthur...Ideally you should move Arthur, but if you don't have a spare hutch, then just try to minimize the number of times you need to go through her area to see to him.

Last edited:
I'd probably just feed extra rations of everything she usually eats. You could even add a few junior pellets to increase her protein intake, but remember to add anything new gradually.

Re. Arthur...Ideally you should move Arthur, but if you don't have a spare hutch, then just try to minimize the number of times you need to go through her area to see to him.

No spare hutches :( Ill have a look at hutches, I have plenty of secure runs they could go into.

Back