• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Head tilt buns... Eye question

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Olly has a head tilt after several bad ear infections, and I took him to the vets a couple of weeks ago as his 'up' eye was very runny. I thought he might have an infection but the vet said he definitely didn't, it was just tears. It cleared up after a couple days but yesterday it started again, I was wondering if any of your head tilt buns get this and what causes it? His down eye is fine! I thought maybe it's worse when the weather's cold...? :? Can i do anything to stop it running? Also, he seems to have really bad hearing now and his eyesight doesn't seem great either :( he's only 7 months old, it's such a shame :( is this common?

Thats strange as all our head tilt bunnies have problems with their down eyes.

I hope you get to the bottom of it soon x

Thats strange as all our head tilt bunnies have problems with their down eyes.

I hope you get to the bottom of it soon x

Mischa had problems with his down eye too but not his up eye.

If the head tilt is due to an ear infection maybe the infection is also giving him conjunctivitis as well? Mischa's recently had a second bout where he had a mild ear infection, conjunctivitis and snuffles. All from the same infection.

He doesn't have an infection now, he's just been left with the head tilt as a result of previous infections... And the vet said his eye is fine, no infection in there or pus or anything, it's just tears... So still none the wiser, but thanks for replying! Its actually a lot better tonight, maybe Honey's been washing it for him today :love:

A bunny pal who will obligingly wash your poorly eyes for you is a godsend!!

I wonder whether the infection could have affected his ability to blink properly on that side? Hopefully its a temporary thing that will get better with time.

Sometimes the up eye can get dry- Tippex's was prone to that as first- especially as she seemed to rarely close it. Some lubricating drops such as viscotears may help.

Another possibility is that a head tilt can lead to uneven dental wear with the risk of dental problems developing so it may be worth getting her teeth checked regularly xx

My Kermit's 'up' eye needed eye drops as his eye got very dry. It was just lubricating eye drops.

Maybe these would help.

Loki's eyes have been very wet lately, but there is no infection present. I have even had to shave half his face and down his chest as the fur was really wet.

Partly I think this may be to do with having new girlybuns who are not quite trained properly yet. He is so big I don't think they know quite where to start grooming him:lol: But all three were in a lovely bunny heap in the sun today:D

Petunia's eyes are often wet too and I have to clip the fur around them to prevent tear scalding. Her tilt is quite bad. Loki doesn't tilt much anymore but his face is all caved in from the years when he was tilted so badly.

My Darcy's up eye has on odd occasions looked a little wet but its been nothing worry about as it was only a little. I always check his bottom eye as this is supposed to possibly have problems due to head tilt.

Back