• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baytril and chest infection

karen1980

Mama Doe
Tyson has a chest infection and has been on baytril since sat.
He seems a little better but still crackly.

Will there be any benefit bringing him indoors? he's not particulary keen on indoors but wondered if the warmth will help?

What dose of Baytril is he on? What his approximate weight?

Is this his first chest infection? Does he have snuffles?

Earl had a chest infection, the only thing that cleared it was penicillin when it eventually turned into pneumonia!

Id recommend that if he dont improve

Changing his temperature might not be a good idea. Plus it might stress him out if you move him around. It's not too cold out at the moment, I would leave him outside but cover his hutch (if he has one) with a rug or fleece.

And if the baytril doesn't help I also recommend penicillin. I've used depocillin with great results but some vets don't really know about it. It has to be injected, usually every few days for a few weeks. I got taught how to do mine and did it at home.

Changing his temperature might not be a good idea. Plus it might stress him out if you move him around. It's not too cold out at the moment, I would leave him outside but cover his hutch (if he has one) with a rug or fleece.

And if the baytril doesn't help I also recommend penicillin. I've used depocillin with great results but some vets don't really know about it. It has to be injected, usually every few days for a few weeks. I got taught how to do mine and did it at home.

Yeah me too it was awful injecting your own bunny :(

Yeah me too it was awful injecting your own bunny :(

Grimlock was very well behaved so most of the time I didn't mind. I always used to watch the vet programmes as a kid. But there was one time he freaked out and started to run around the room with the needle still in him. That was a bit distressing. But overall less distressing that going back to the vets all the time.

Thanks I did keep him outside but stacked up extra hay inside, we always cover the hutch in case fox's come and scare them.
We used depocillin on a bunny we had before that had a tumour, my hubby was trained to inject, she was so good she used to sit on my worktop and normally raid my fruit bowl!

How do you know when it moves from a chest infection to pneumonia?

Back