• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any spare vibes for Homer? u/d Metacam advice

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
I know there are lots of poorly bunnies at the moment but if you could send Homer some eating vibes, we would be grateful.

He went in for a dental yesterday and he had a wobbly tooth which was very loose at the back and came out during treatment. The root is still there so not a full extraction.

He is trying to nibble some food but is obviously very uncomfortable eating it. We are off to the vets this morning to get some more metacam and ask the nurses to syringe feed him to be on the safe side. He is also on Baytril.

Last edited:
Awwwww poor Homer :cry:
I empathise as I had lots of pain for almost a week after my recent Dental. Maybe the Vet would agree to Homer having analgesic cover for a few days ?

Sending lots of vibes xx

Thanks Jane - when you say analgesic is that vetergesic (that was on my list to ask for). I am also going to ask for some sub cut as he has not had much to drink.

He is trying to eat but is clearly uncomfortable eating.:cry: I have just mushed some pellets and he took a little off my finger. I am hoping with the painkiller he will eat himself. As a precaution I am going to ask if a nurse can help me syringe feed him while I am there.

I hope your teeth are OK now Jane. My Mum spend all last Weds in the dental hospital and she has got to have a tooth out too.:(

Thanks Jane - when you say analgesic is that vetergesic (that was on my list to ask for). I am also going to ask for some sub cut as he has not had much to drink.

Analgesic as in 'pain relief'. So yes, initially some Vetergesic aswell as Metacam may be useful. Although it can zonk some Bunnies out which means they are too drowsy to eat. It's a case of titrating the dose to get it right for the specific Bun.

Fluids would probably perk him up too. When tooth roots and innervation are disturbed it can take several days for the discomfort to settle. As I said, I know that from my own recent experience. Not nice :cry:

Thanks Jane, I will definitely mention to her. Homey has had vetergesic before (with Metacam) and just a low dose seems to help without the sleepiness which he had on his original dose. He is booked in for 10.30.

I am sending good vibes Homers way. My first bunny was called Homer so I wanted to send your Homer my love. Hope the vets can help him through the pain.

Thank you for all the vibes.

He has had some more painkiller, metoclopromide, baytril and the nurse gave him some critical care which he liked and then started to lap up off the spoon which was great.

Fingers crossed he will start to eat of his own accord now.

Aww...sorry Homer has a poorly mowf!

I know it's not brilliant for them but when my Schumi was so dental he couldn't eat much, he had a bit of wholemeal bread and oats soaked in water which seemed to help. Have you also tried grated carrot etc?

Millons of vibes.
x
xxx

Thank you for all the vibes.

I was told to give 2 drops of metacam to Homey. He was given it this morning but has been grinding his teeth this afternoon. The vet did not feel he needed the analgesic this morning as she felt his mouth an he did not appear to be in pain.

Homey normally weighs 3.7kg so how much can I give him. I have a syringe in units or ml.

The metacam I have is 0.5mg/ml oral suspension for cats.

Last edited:
Back