• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bum checks - how do you do yours??

Ooh do you manage to do that every day? Don't they run a mile when they see you coming with that 'bum check' look on yer face???

Petal is a bit feisty, but Frank is a pushover. In winter I just do a quick lookie and to be honest not every day. With the weather warming up, I will check every day.

I get smudge while he's eating. Just lift up his tail and have a nose. No way he would let me craddle him.

With Snoopy, when he's on the sofa he lets me pick up his back legs and look :)

xx

just flop them both over :) bella is a bit more feisty but will still let me do it, jasper just flops backwards :lol:

just flop them both over :) bella is a bit more feisty but will still let me do it, jasper just flops backwards :lol:
I guess I got lucky, all of mine just flop back. It may sound a bit strange, but once you've got them on their backs, to stop them jumping right back up, keep your hand on their tummys, and blow gently on their noses. It has a calming effect on them. Then you can take your hand off the tum and go ahead with the bum check. :) Good luck trying!

I don't. :oops::( Spenser is impossible. He is VERY strong and HATES being handled. I'm hoping he might be more manageable once he's neutered.

Because all of mine have several heights of shelves in their sheds, I can clearly see their butts as they jump down the levels.
The only one I can't see is BB's, but she's a tart and will let me put my hand under her to check her - she even lifts her tail:lol:

The Nethies are fine...I can get a good look and a grope.
The Big Bunnies,however, are terrors.:roll:
But I overpower the fluffy sods!!!!!!:thumb::thumb:

I guess I got lucky, all of mine just flop back. It may sound a bit strange, but once you've got them on their backs, to stop them jumping right back up, keep your hand on their tummys, and blow gently on their noses. It has a calming effect on them. Then you can take your hand off the tum and go ahead with the bum check. :) Good luck trying!
When they are on their backs they freeze with fear, it's not calming :?

I have a quick look while they eat breakfast by lifting their back ends a little. I do it because I know I'm supposed to but it doesn't worry me a great deal tbh since healthy rabbits with the right diet and clean housing are low risk.
edit: I don't do it every day either.

When they are on their backs they freeze with fear, it's not calming :?

I have a quick look while they eat breakfast by lifting their back ends a little. I do it because I know I'm supposed to but it doesn't worry me a great deal tbh since healthy rabbits with the right diet and clean housing are low risk.
edit: I don't do it every day either.

I have sometimes managed to lift a leg when Spenser is flopped, but that only shows one side. Don't they have to be on their backs? Spenser's vet holds him up with her hand supporting his back.

If Mini is messy I can tell just by smell :roll: And the other three don't get those problems so I don't check mine every day usually. Only in Summer for flystrike and then I cradle them with one arm and use the free arm to check. This is harder with Nutmeg :roll: so with her I might use a treat to make her 'stand' and then check.

I am lucky and can lift them all I hold them under their front legs with their back to my chest. My other hand is under their bottoms supporting it anyway so I just push their bottom up to have a quick look. I think because they feel secure pressed into me they don't mind it! :wave:

No-one will help me cos they are scared of Rolo when I do a check...he makes the most vocal and nippy fuss:roll: Its like trying to wrestle with a rabbid lion!

So, I ask my best friends hubby...big, strong hands! Typical yorkshire man.......Scared o' nowt!! Rolo seems to know its pointless to struggle so lets us get on with it, although he stamps his foot when put down and growls for the rest of the day if anyone DARES to walk past his bed.

Rach x

No, no no no no no no no no no :cry: :censored:

Do not EVER put a bunny on its back. This is known as 'trancing' and whilst bunny may not struggle and will appear 'calm' its actually a fear response and causes a rise in a certain stress hormone in the blood and can cause the heart to struggle to keep pumping rhythmically.

Can i ask where you learnt that from, or do you simply believe it is just right?

Ginger's easy to check, she loves being held and cuddled, so thats simple.

Biscuit is a little more fun and i have to admit, i rarely check him, but on the rare occasion i do, i have to force him into my chest and slowly turn him round, he has to be held very firmly as he hates being held so so much.

Thanks everyone ........ I'm really liking the idea of just lifting their bums up whilst they're eating ..... and also having a nosey whilst they 'stand' for treats!!

:thumb: Sneaky tactics :thumb:

I just pick them up and have a quick look, the only problem I have is trying to stop Sweetpea licking me long enough to get a good look :lol::lol::love:

I'm not the only one that struggles then!

Jenson's colouring is white under. I've tried lifting his tail, sometimes that works a little or holding a treat right up so he has to go up for it. That and if all the poops are good and no smell I don't worry too much. He's an indoor bun so I'm hoping that keeps him low risk from flies.

Back