• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

run advice- protecting bunnies from our terrier

ankyferdi

Warren Scout
Hi everyone :wave:

Just thought I'd ask your opinions on my rabbits housing. At the moment they have the run of a large shed with their two storey hutch permanently open. Now obviously I want them to have a run off their shed, so that they have more space. But, the problem is that I have a Patterdale terrier, who we rescued before rescuing the bunnies in November (they were due to become ferriet food :evil:).

Whilst the bunnies are in the shed Otto isn't that interested but I'm worried that if they have a run which he can see them through his prey drive will soar and he'll not give them any peace.

I've been thinking about a number of options. 1. buy an aviary like this one, but the 6ft by 6ft version

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6ft-x3ft-Mesh...?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Birds&hash=item27b91846d6

and then penning off the area around it with electric fencing. I have a unit I can access because I have horses and am quite used to using electric. We have a long narrow garden though and it might be difficult to have the space to make sure that the fence is well away from the aviary. I don't want to compramise on space for the bunnies, so don't want a smaller one.

Alternately I though about panelling round the aviary to about 3 foot, so that Otto can't see them. I'm hoping that like with the shed, he clearly knows that they are there but can't see them so doesn't bother. I worry then that the bunnies wouldn't be able to see out - would this bother them? Or would feeling safe away from predators be more important to them?

I know as bunny lovers some people may say get rid of the dog, but seeing as we rescued him when he was 1 year old, had been through 4 homes and was due to be PTS the very next day I feel it wouldn't be fair on him.

Sorry for the ramble, you can see i've been really mulling this over. I really want to get it right and make everyone happy :D

If you went down the panelling route you could maybe have raised levels in the run so that the bunnies have a vantage point/s and could then see out. If they were three footish off the ground Otto may not spot the bunnies snoozing and sunbathing.

Or what about putting a fence around the area as opposed to electric fencing - it wouldn't have to be head height if Otto is not a great jumper.

You may find that Otto isn't actually interested in the bunnies. When my sister visited for the weekend with her Jack Russell Terrier, despite being a wild bunny chaser, she was not remotely interested in my rabbits in their runs. She didn't seem to make the connection at all. (She was obviously kept on a lead at all times and was not allowed near the runs. The closest she got was about 6ft away.)

Hope this helps.

PS Well done on rescuing the bunnies :D:D:D

Would it be possible to go down the route of training him? Having him on a lead while rabbits are in view and if he's calm walk closer but if he get's excited take him away? You could treat him when he's calm, reward for ignoring them. Well something along those lines.

You could do somethinglike this if you went down the panelled route:

P1460395 by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

If the aviary is secure then I wouldn't think having a dog running around would worry the buns much, not in my experience anyway. We used to have dogs and rabbits and they didn't worry each other much. As long as he doesn't bark at them constantly I would think it would be okay.

I'm sure no-one here would suggest you "get rid" of any of your animals, it's just not our way :) but of course you must keep your buns safe.

I understand Pattendales are great little hunters so I think strong measures are called for!

I think the panelled run/aviary would be a good idea together with positive training for your dog - distracting him and treating him when he looks away (or hopefully) ignores the rabbits.

I think the panelling is a good idea. If you create a nice space inside the run then your bunnies don't need to be able to see out. Lots of house buns live in rooms with windows to high to look out of.

If the aviary has a door, it might be an idea to have a double set like you would on an actual bird aviary. That was the bunnies/dog can't get curious and nip past you when you open it.

Many thanks everyone for your ideas and Kittykat for your photos - that's just the kind of set up I'll be attempting to recreate! I'll def try some more training with Otto, but I know as a patterdale he's got a particularly high prey drive. I just want to make the bunnies happy and confident :D Panelling it is then, can't wait to get it built. I'll be straight on it to get some pics up of them in their new accomodation :wave:

one of my dogs would have the buns if given half the chance.....:roll: at first she was obsessed with them but now they are just there and she doesnt bother with them at all......:)

Fingers crossed angie that Otto gets used to them, it's hard when you can't trust one of your pets, especially as the buns are so vulnerable. I can't wait to see them hopping about happy and safe. How long did it take for your dog to get used to the buns?

Back