• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice on tumours

leanne2525

Warren Scout
i had a rabbit with me for a while and a friend took him she rang today to say he was put to sleep, a week ago a lump come up on his back then last few days it had turned in to a big puss filled lump/abcess the vet saw him and said he could remove it but would prefer to put him to sleep as it may return, can any one tell me have they had this happen is this normal? i am very upset as i liked this little bunny and he was only 4 months old :cry:

:shock:

Seems a bit drastic to PTS without even attempting surgery :? Unless the abscess had tracked into the Rabbit's spine.

Rabbit abscesses are more difficult to resolve than those in other species. But it is certainly not impossible to successfully treat them. I have had several Rabbit's who have had abscesses surgically removed then post operative antibiotic treatment and they have all made a full recovery.

But without knowing the precise details of this Rabbit's case it's impossible to say if he could have been treated or if PTS really was the only option.

Back