• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

pulling out fur

hi there, this is my first time logging in :wave:. My wee rabbit is pulling out his fur on his chest, just to see if any1 had any idea what could be causing him to do this. Had him at vet and they gave him antibiotics but didnt help, infact i think it looks worse :cry:

i am sure its a boy, would it make a difference if it was female, is this something they do. When im tpying this im thinking that i have read somewhere that they remove hair for bedding thinking they are expecting ( is that right). the patch where the hair has been removed has went tuff this thats helps. thanks for your comments so far:D:)

i am sure its a boy, would it make a difference if it was female, is this something they do. When im tpying this im thinking that i have read somewhere that they remove hair for bedding thinking they are expecting ( is that right). the patch where the hair has been removed has went tuff this thats helps. thanks for your comments so far:D:)

Girls do pull out their own fur to make a nest. I have never heard of boys doing it :?

A female rabbit will often pull out her own fur to make a nest when she is pregnant, or having a 'phantom pregnancy'.
However, if you're certain he is a boy, it could be that he's in moult. I know it sounds crazy, but at the vets I'm currently training at, a boy came in who pulled out his fur at the start of every spring which was put down to moulting.
And one more suggestion, does he have many toys? And if he does, does he play with them? He could be doing it because he's bored.

Obviously I'm only making suggestions since I haven't seen him, and it's probably best to get back to your vets in case there is maybe a skin problem there! :)

Sorry for such a long post! :oops:

A female rabbit will often pull out her own fur to make a nest when she is pregnant, or having a 'phantom pregnancy'.
However, if you're certain he is a boy, it could be that he's in moult. I know it sounds crazy, but at the vets I'm currently training at, a boy came in who pulled out his fur at the start of every spring which was put down to moulting.
And one more suggestion, does he have many toys? And if he does, does he play with them? He could be doing it because he's bored.

Obviously I'm only making suggestions since I haven't seen him, and it's probably best to get back to your vets in case there is maybe a skin problem there! :)

Sorry for such a long post! :oops:

i was thinking maybe a skin infection, with the skin where the fur has been pulled its went so tuff.

Can you post a photo of the bald area ?

Hi, I managed to get a pic of the fur loss patch, its rather hard to he him to stay at peace poor wee soul. This pic doesnt make it look that bad but its raw looking round the edges (you cant see this from the pic) & the skin has been left tuff where the hair has been pulled. Its actually quite hard to see when hes just sitting normal I only noticed it when he was lifting up his head to drink from his water bottle. Its down the front of his chest area.

CIMG1835.jpg

Just what I was thinking, I though females pulled fur from their dew lap :?

Back