• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Run to free range....

benkat

Warren Scout
:wave: My girls have a double 6ft hutch with a permanent 5' by 4' covered run attached to the hutch on the patio. This means they are never need to be shut in the hutch :D
I also have another 5' by 4' run which I attach to the permanent run when the weather is good & I can supervise.
I only attach the 2nd run under supervision as one of my girls is a real 'digger'.
The girl who digs isn't particularly human friendly & never has been - However, I would like them to have the run of the garden in the summer (only when I am there obviously) & could do with some tips for getting them back into the permanent run after 'playtime' is over.....
Does anyone have any bright ideas??

:wave: My girls have a double 6ft hutch with a permanent 5' by 4' covered run attached to the hutch on the patio. This means they are never need to be shut in the hutch :D
I also have another 5' by 4' run which I attach to the permanent run when the weather is good & I can supervise.
I only attach the 2nd run under supervision as one of my girls is a real 'digger'.
The girl who digs isn't particularly human friendly & never has been - However, I would like them to have the run of the garden in the summer (only when I am there obviously) & could do with some tips for getting them back into the permanent run after 'playtime' is over.....
Does anyone have any bright ideas??

food!

Have you thought about laying wire or slabs under the second run so you could attach it permanently?

Food is definitely the way to get them back in, with time they'll learn that when you tell them to go in they get munchies and will just start doing it.

:wave: To be honest, I don't want to have the 2nd run on the grass...:? The reason being that there isn't enough space for them to graze & the grass to grow at the same time.

I would happily extend the patio so the 2nd run could be permanent, but I'd like them to have some proper 'free range' grazing time too.:)

I have opening doors in the bottom of my runs so that the buns can easily get in and out of their runs into the garden.

You only need to put in an upright and hinge on a door and bolt - really easy!

Mine go back in really easily. They know whens its time cos I walk behind them and say "come on" and they just go back in. I used to have to shepherd them in, by using a few sections of a metal pen by the door to the run, but that was only needed for the first few weeks. They soon get the idea.

Back