• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making a run

Grin

Wise Old Thumper
Hubby wants to make a run for the bunnies so they can go on grass in the summer and i can sit with them in the front garden to watch them (and the world) go by.

He's got materials to make it 6ft in length by about 3.5ft wide. This seems pretty small to me? (4ft in height)

I wasn't sure if there's guidelines on run sizes like there is hutch sizes? I'm hoping that they'll not feel confined in it because it will be a new space.

He's making it now - or at least taking measurements. Lucky is 'helping' :lol:

They will love it, and its not like you are keeping them in there, they are just going out with you to have a nosey at the world:)

and see whats occurring *runs and hides*

Last edited:
They will love it, and its not like you are keeping them in there, they are just going out with you to have a nosey at the world:)

and see whats occurring *runs and hides*

Hahahaha!!!! Love it!!

Yeah - it'll just be for a change of scenery :D

Nothing wrong with it if it's just for a nibble on some grass and a few hoppies, but the bigger you go the more action you will see.

I don't think you'll see much in the way of running around like loonies in one of that size, but it just depends on what you are hoping to see and what other space they have. Mine don't have the biggest attached runs but they all have access to either an 8x6x3 run on hardstanding or a 14x5x3 on grass and it's in the bigger one that we get the aerial acrobatics :lol::lol:

I would recommend making panels to construct the run. If you make the panels 6ft x 3ft then each panel is the same width as the weld mesh and you only have to cut the mesh in one direction, saves lots of time and effort . The wood frame is easy, just make a rectangle with one support strut in the middle. :)

You can then screw the panels together to easily make a run that is 6ft x 6ft (footprint) and 3ft tall, which I think is the best size for a run. You can even make one of the panels a lid by attaching it with hinges if you wish. If you leave mesh out of half one of the panels you can create a 3ft x 3ft door and hinge that on to make it easy going in and out.

Thanks for the advice all.

They have free range time in the back garden as it's an alleyway of about a metre and a half wide by nearly 10 metres long. We've blocked off the end that leads up to the steps of the garden and Lucky loves bombing along it but Daisy is more an indoor girl. She prefers coming into the kitchen to 'talk' to me - she rarely ventures outside.

It's just in the summer i will quite often sit out the front with a cuppa and OH thought it would be nice to have the bunnies with me and they'll get to go on grass.

We looked at runs in the local pet shop and we were horrified - one was so small, even sitting would be uncomfortable for them. :shock:

My foster buns use a run in the front garden. My own two are free range in the back and I don't want to upset them by constantly changun buns in their territory. It turns out that we have loads of people slowing down to look at them in their cars and children who want to see the buns as they are wandering. It has proven to be a great way to talk to people about the care involved and possibly improve the lives of other buns now or in the future. Because it is the fosters who are out there I can also have a chat about rabbits needing new homes rather than getting babies!

Sounds like a great thing to have ready for summer!

My foster buns use a run in the front garden. My own two are free range in the back and I don't want to upset them by constantly changun buns in their territory. It turns out that we have loads of people slowing down to look at them in their cars and children who want to see the buns as they are wandering. It has proven to be a great way to talk to people about the care involved and possibly improve the lives of other buns now or in the future. Because it is the fosters who are out there I can also have a chat about rabbits needing new homes rather than getting babies!

Sounds like a great thing to have ready for summer!

Thanks.

I took Lucky out on a harness in the front garden once (i dont use it anymore) and a lady pointed and said what a funny looking cat it was! :lol: But yeah, there's a lot of 'passing trade' who'd stop and natter bunny stuff. :D

We decided to bunny proof the outside area instead and use the mesh stuff to fence off and make the area safe seeing as we would be with them at all times anyway. They had a lovely time exploring and it was nice to see them free roaming as i wasnt happy with putting them in a run anyway. :D

188788_1879382272995_1494421010_2041302_5093532_n.jpg

We decided to bunny proof the outside area instead and use the mesh stuff to fence off and make the area safe seeing as we would be with them at all times anyway. They had a lovely time exploring and it was nice to see them free roaming as i wasnt happy with putting them in a run anyway. :D

188788_1879382272995_1494421010_2041302_5093532_n.jpg

:love::love: Sounds like they had a great time :D

They love it. We're out again today and we have massive binkies from the pair of them. This is most unusual for Daisy. Lucky just ate the primroses tho so time to bring them in. They've had an hour. :love:

Back