• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please look at pics and advise U/D p37

molly35

Mama Doe
It looks like 1 of Theos bottom incisors has broken off and he is now left with this 1 tooth sticking forward. He is still pooping but I am so worried that he isn't eating properly. If you saw teeth like this what would you say?

003-5.jpg

002-3.jpg

Last edited:
Id go to the vets for burring to the same length as the other, if its not too short.Lily did this on a fenugreek crunchy.
has he got malloclusion and needs a regular burr??

I'd say malloclusion :(

Poor bunny.

I'd want a bunny savvy vet to check on him, fully.

I doubt he could eat properly with a toof like that :(

He's a foster bun and he hasn't been seen properly by a vet, just had an emergency appointment where the vet clipped his teeth.

I'd say malloclusion :(

Poor bunny.

I'd want a bunny savvy vet to check on him, fully.

I doubt he could eat properly with a toof like that :(

This is what I am worried about, he is in my care and I am feel like I am letting him down but they won't let me take him to the vet who will apparently look at him when he goes in for neuter but no date has been set for that yet.

This is what I am worried about, he is in my care and I am feel like I am letting him down but they won't let me take him to the vet who will apparently look at him when he goes in for neuter but no date has been set for that yet.

:shock: Who are you fostering for?!?!?!?!?!?

You HAVE to get him to a vet :cry:

I pay 9.91 for a burr, but thats cos we know its the problem.No consultation...Lily just goes off in the vets arms.
This man at least needs a burr to help him or you may not have a bunny left to foster!!:shock:

:shock: Who are you fostering for?!?!?!?!?!?

You HAVE to get him to a vet :cry:

pawz for thought - I am tired of telling them he needs a vet. I dont know whether to tell them to come and pick him up or not, I just don't know when they are going to bother getting him treated. I just worry what will happen to him if he leaves me now.

pawz for thought - I am tired of telling them he needs a vet. I dont know whether to tell them to come and pick him up or not, I just don't know when they are going to bother getting him treated. I just worry what will happen to him if he leaves me now.

Take him and send them the bill!!

Can you not afford to take him yourself and say its for Pawz for thought?

Im disgusted that they won't let you take him.

:cry:

Take him and send them the bill!!

The other rescue I fostered for would have had no problem with that, he wouldn't have even come to me before seeing a vet properly but I know that if I do that they won't reimburse me.

He is such a little cutie as well

Oh poor bunny :( If it's around £9.91 to get the tooth burred, I'd probably take him and pay myself. Any more than a tenner though and I'd probably send the rescue the bill. I wouldn't want to leave him like that either. Do the rescue know how bad it is? Maybe send them these pics?

Oh poor bunny :( If it's around £9.91 to get the tooth burred, I'd probably take him and pay myself. Any more than a tenner though and I'd probably send the rescue the bill. I wouldn't want to leave him like that either. Do the rescue know how bad it is? Maybe send them these pics?

Yes they took him to the vet when he was picked up and has already had his teeth clipped so they were worse than that!!!!!!!!! He has only been here for about a fortnight. I'm going to email them again with pics.

Yes they took him to the vet when he was picked up and has already had his teeth clipped so they were worse than that!!!!!!!!! He has only been here for about a fortnight. I'm going to email them again with pics.

Oh right. So is that how the vet left him or has that grown back in two weeks?

As long as he can eat properly, its not an emergency :wave:

I'd be less concerned about the tooth sticking out than what the other teeth might be doing that you can't see. Mallocluded teeth tend to either grow outwards and are obviously visible like in your photo, or they grow inwards and can cut into the tongue or cheeks

As long as he can eat properly, its not an emergency :wave:

I'd be less concerned about the tooth sticking out than what the other teeth might be doing that you can't see. Mallocluded teeth tend to either grow outwards and are obviously visible like in your photo, or they grow inwards and can cut into the tongue or cheeks

^This. If they are cutting into the inside of his mouth, he may stop eating soon as it becomes more painful. I wonder if ou could describe the problem to the vet, ask if *they* think he needs to come in, and see if the could gently hint as much to the rescue? Or would that cause loads of problems :?

hope he's ok anyway x

Having had a bun like this myself I know if the vet is still using the clipping method then it can be very difficult to clip the incisors to the same length. So if he is still eating and not uncomfortable I'd be tempted to leave him a little while. But he will need them clipping regularly, at least every 3-4 weeks and also if money is an issue, depending on how confident you are, you might be able to learn how to do it yourself. There are some vids on youtube that show the technique. We always took Jasper to the vets for his, this was about 15 or so years ago when it was the only treatment on offer. I think people recommend burring or extraction rather than clipping these days.

Back