• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Window in kennel remove it or not?

loppy ears

Warren Veteran
I have asked for a perspex window to be added to my kennel will I need to remove this in the summer and mesh it or can I just leave the hole cover up and allow them to come and go into their run as they please?

I would put up mesh so that you can remove the perspex and let some fresh air breeze through and keep it cool :)

Hi similar kind of question:

My Buns have a breeze block shed, with a slate roof which I further insulated. The doors opens out into their run so can be left open but also has a cat flap on it for when it is closed. It seems to stay cool in the shed in summer and warmer winter (water bowl inside shed never got close to icing up this winter even when the one outside was icing over quickly).

I am wondering however what to do for the summer as it will be their first summer in there and the shed has no window. I could leave the shed door open constantly throughout the summer but worry this might defeat the purpose of having a cosy area should it get cold suddenly in the nights, or I could leave the shed door open during the day and close at night - Im unsure what to do?

I suppose I could perhaps cut some form of hole in the shed door and mesh over it but the shed doors, I dont know how to explain it but sort of made of tongue and groove panels and I worry if I cut a big hole in it it may fall apart.

Any advice on what I should do will be appreciated as Im worrying about it already!

Also on a side note, I have a walk in run (plenty of areas for the buns to get shade etc) but it has a clear corrugated roof, I worry this may be a heat trap in the summer and wonder if it would be ok to use tarpaulin on part of the corrugated roof to stop sunshine coming through to give them half the run in shade?

Thanks!

The walk in run shouldn't be a problem assuming it is open on some of the other sides?

For the hutch you could put some kind of reflective material on the roof if you want to keep heat off.

I have a large walk in run with clear plastic corrugated roof, and I always suspend a tarpaulin in one corner to provide a bit of shade as mine is a sun trap in the summer. As my shed is attached to the run, I always used to leave the door open all the time, but it still used to get warm - so I'll probably remove a window and replace it with environet that I have.

Back