• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much do you spend on bunny necessities per week (or month, if thats easier)?

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Just had a really interesting conversation with VickiP and it got me thinking.

I'm paying £11ish for the megazorb (product+carriage), the SS is ~£5 and lasts ~6-7months (even more so now i expect, as i've cut to 10 pellets, per bun, per day) - they hay is my biggest expenditure, but with a dental bunny on top of her other issues, im actually happy to pay the extra. I'd go to the end of the world and back for her to have just one extra day

SO i guess all in all, im not really paying much really.

Totalling it up and splitting by an average a month

25p per week pellets
£5 per week hay
£5 per week herbs
£2.75 per week megazorb

Thats £13 per week, so £52 per month. Just on necessities.

Thats actually so much cheaper than i thought.

So, how much do you spend on necessities? By this i mean feed/hay/treats/veggies.

If you dont know, work it by month and split by 4 for an approximate calculation.

Obviously, if you dont feel confident in posting, dont feel it a necessity.

I found out alot more than I thought. This month, plus my chinnies so far over £40.00, my OH paid most.
This was mainly because we went to a rabbit event and massively changed their diet, thanks to RU.

Carefresh about £8/£9
Hay was a real splurge about £20.00 (Oat hay, dandelion hay and some other fancy hay).
Redigreen £7.90
Chinnie sand £6.00
SS not sure just paid for it
Chinnie food about £7.00
Dandelion salad £4.00
Basic hay about £5.00
I haven't even included fresh veg.

Hmmm, lets see...

Megazorb - £7 a bag, need a bag a month
Hay £7.50 a bale, lasts about 5-6 weeks
SS - £7 a bag, lasts about 2 months
Veg - about £10 a week

So that's £13.75 a week roughly, pretty similar to you Graham.

If you include insurance as a necessity then that would bump it up (I pay £26 a month so an extra £6.50 a week). I do buy treats, but quite randomly. Like I spent about £60 this month buying lots of bags of different hay and some toys, but I don't do that often and would expect the hay to last for a couple of months!

Never really worked it out but roughly...

Hay £5 a week
Excel nuggets £3.50 a bag, probably last me a couple of weeks with 4 rabbits.
Carrots/cabbage £2 a week

If you only give your buns 10 pellets a day then i must be over feeding mine as they have miles more than that.

I give them excel nuggets in the morning and carrots/cabbage at night plus there hay and water.

They get the odd treat, these round things that almost look like seeds compacted into a circle, really hard so good for there teeth but they only get half of one of those a couple of times a month.

A bag of megazorb lasts about 7 weeks, about £12 a bag,
25g excel pellets a day, £16.89 for 10kg = £0.042225 a day
no idea really for hay, roughly £40 for 2 months before, although now using mainly H4P I reckon its going to be about £24.

A week...
megazorb - £1.70
pellets - £0.30
hay - was £4.40, going to estimate it will be £3 from now on
dried herbs - £0.70
veggies/herbs - £4.40
proper treats - £0.50
apple sticks - £3.50

= £15.50 or £14.10 a week
£62 or £56.40 a month

best case scenario £510 a year :shock: then vaccs and insurance, probs at least one £50 excess, say £40 for toys
£690 a year just running costs without any of the things I see and think he HAS to have :oops::shock::shock::shock::shock:

eta how am I spending more or the same a week as you guys when I only have a single bun :?

Last edited:
I really do not know. They have a £2.50 1kg bag of Meadow Hay between them a week. A 10kg bag of pellets lasts a LONG time, maybe 2/3 months, and its £15 at a time, so really not a lot. I will try and work that out.

Bedding hay bag lasts about 4 hutch cleans, so £5 a month on that.

I don't pay for veggies, I get the bashed/leftover/peelings/ends from the kitchen at work (a hotel).

So maybe...

£5 - pellets a month
£5 - bedding hay a month
£9.50 - eating hay a month
£3 - yoghurt drop treats a month

So £22.50 a month sounds good to me! (2 bunnies)

Not much, the buns used to have megazorb but they just tip it everywhere so now they have newspaper and just hay and its changed every morning

So...
£8 per month on hay
£8 per month on pellets
£10 per month on veggies and grasses, dried mixes etc, most stuff home grown/dried
£3 on redigrass a month, huge bag lasts ages and is about £10 so prob £3 a month on that

so cheap!

Per week, between 2 small/medium bunnies and 1 big 'un

(copied from the same thread as you:p)

hay - £4-5 (I buy the 9.5kg bags from H4P)
Veg - £1? I always go shopping at closing time and get reduced veg, the grocer I get my regular veg from always gives me bags of odd leaves etc and I grow my own herbs.
pellets - 20p ish
litter (aubiose) - 60p (a bag lasts me about 6 months but is split between the mice, rabbits and gerbil.)

so £1.93 per bun per week.

Erm, about £10 a month? Maybe! A bag of hay is £2.50 and lasts two weeks, pellets are £3.70 for a month and then a few treats. They just get veg that we have in anyway so I don't pay for that!
They only get expensive when you add in the vet bills and vaccs :lol:

Per week, between 2 small/medium bunnies and 1 big 'un

(copied from the same thread as you:p)

hay - £4-5 (I buy the 9.5kg bags from H4P)
Veg - £1? I always go shopping at closing time and get reduced veg, the grocer I get my regular veg from always gives me bags of odd leaves etc and I grow my own herbs.
pellets - 20p ish
litter (aubiose) - 60p (a bag lasts me about 6 months but is split between the mice, rabbits and gerbil.)

so £1.93 per bun per week.

That is ridiculously low compared to mine! Can you get aubiose online do you know?

eta - just seen I can for £16 delivered. will PM you so I dont hijack Grahams thread.

Last edited:
Not sure exactly but I normally do a large order when I get paid each month, depends on what I'm getting though, if it's normal everyday things about £40 and can be £50 if I'm adding extra things I've not tried before to see if they like them. Last order was £80 but these were things I've had to get/replace for when Roo and Pea are bonded, new litter tray and toys etc.

Last edited:
That is ridiculously low compared to mine! Can you get aubiose online do you know?

I'm sure I found it a couple of places but the postage made it really expensive, bizarrely the local horse/farm place didn't have any but the animal feed store did.
I'm very economical with the stuff though, I just put a thin layer down in the litter trays and scoop out the wet bits every day, then do a total clean once or twice a week.

A Month:

Bunnies:
Hay - £4
Pellets - £8 (Grim eats only pellets and lots of them)
Veg - £3 ish, most cost be 40p or so from the reduced bit and I get free spring greens from my friend. :)

Chinchillas:
Hay - £4
Pellets - £5

Hamster:
Food - £1
Bedding - £1.20

Bearded Dragon:
Substrate - £2
Live food - £4.40
Veg - as bunnies

So about £35 all together. I budget shop and treats are usually our leftovers such as a bit of curly kale we don't eat or an apple which will last Smoo a few days. Genghis eats most of this too as does SPG bu he'll get a bit of meat or cheese too. Sainsbury's is great for budget veg. I bought some growing parsley for 40p the other day so that will last me ages. Chinchilla treats will be a raisin here or there so I can't count that how little they get.

Monthly:-

Megazorb £6.25, I use it for Hammie as well.
Hay £2
Herbs (biggest outgoing) £25

Total:- £33.25

Very approximately:
A bale of hay lasts around a month.... £5

Megazorb, lasts around the same but is also used for two hammy cages and a gerbil tank. A bag costs £7, so I'd estimate around £5 for the buns for a month.

They don't really have veggies, just some of our waste peelings and herbs etc I grow in pots and they're on the go all the time so maybe £2 a month.

I'm not sure how long a bag of pellets lasts but it's £3.49 for a 3kg bag - roughly £2 a month at most.

Sooooo, if my maths skills are correct, I make that £14 a month or £3.50 a week.

That makes them sound so cheap to keep but of course there's all the toys I buy, the big aviary they live in and vet bills to drive the cost right up. :lol:

Graham, How do you make sure each bun gets their 10 pellets each? Do they have different food bowls? Do you feed them separately ?

When i feed mine i stick their bowls down and make sure both nom but i wouldnt know who had their fill of what! Daisy prefers her veg while Lucky prefers his pellets - thats all i know :oops:

on a week to week basis i only buy veg, approx £5-£10 depending on the supermarket we go to.

pellets last for months and hay lasts for over a month too.

:wave:

Monthly.....

Hay - £5.00 (I buy it by the bale)
Megazorb - £7.00
Veggies & Herbs - £40.00 :shock: (I grow my own herbs in the summer so this is drastically reduced)
Pellets - £3.00 (They only have an eggcup full each so a small bag of SS lasts a month)

Hay lasts a bit longer in the summer as they have fresh grass & dandelions too :)

Hmm never worked it out before lets see (approximately!)

Hay- 8 € a week
Litter- 6€ a week
Pellets- 2€ a week
Veg- 10€ a week

So approximately 26€ a week, so around 100€ a month :shock:
Which I suppose is ok for 3 buns :wave:

Back