• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I wish i could stop thinking like this...

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
...but i know its perfectly natural.

I'm struggling with Ginger :(

She's having a bad day as some will know, and im sat here thinking.

What will i do when she goes?
How will i cope?
How will i know if Biscuit wants another friend and when?

Sky-O helped me think about it, and explained that im actually grieving for her already in a way and that it was normal, but i feel absolutely dreadful for thinking of it, when she's still here, and still 'happy' most of the time.

I feel awfully guilty :cry:

*hugs* wish I could be more help but I think Sky-O's right. Never feel guilty for the way you feel, they're all natural feelings

Don't feel guilty - how you're feeling is normal.

I always worried because of Blackie's teeth and his constant dentals. But when they're feeling well you can put it at the back of your mind more and enjoy the good times. But when they're ill you worry more.

It seems so unfair that some buns have shorter lives :( But they don't think about it the way we do, so they won't be worrying in the same way.

Hope Ginger picks up quickly x

When i had Kermit and he had head tilt, i used to worry every morning when i opened the door that he would be lying there gone to the bridge. I used to panic for the seconds that the door swung open.

He ended up going when i was away from home and i never seen my boy.

Now i have Inca who is frought with problems. I just take it a day at a time. She is getting better care with me than she would in most other places, so i am making her have a happy life.

I dunno how i will cope when she goes, but i will deal with that when it happens, I am just enjoying having her her for the time being, and i think she likes it to, cos she done three binkys down the length of the sofa tonight :)

Wise words from Blackers. :thumb: Keeping up vibes for Ginger. Hope she has many more good days ahead of her.:)

I felt (and still) feel this way about Pie. After almost losing her last weekend I have struggled to eat, sleep and think in general because I just can't get the thought of her going, especially during the night or when I'm not there out of my head.

The only thing that gives me comfort is the thought that she is totally happy in her life right NOW. And thats what you need to think of too. Because Buns live in the now, not the when or what if. Ginger is totally happy and content with her life with you, your OH and Biccy. Although she has bad days, when she has good days, boy she makes up for it! :love:
You give her everything and more she could want and need.

As for Biccy - he will have to grieve too, you know him best so will know when it's 'time' for him to have another friend.

I don't know if this thought will help you but I know this is one of the only things that stop me from breaking down about it.
I truly feel your pain Gray. (((Big Hugs))) to you, Biccy & Ginger.

I felt this way too when my beloved doggie was getting old and frail
She died 6 weeks ago aged 16. :cry:

It's perfectly natural to 'wonder' what things/life/others will be like.

Lotsa love to you and healing vibes for Ginger xxxxxxxx

Having two very old pets (cat and hamster) and a terminal hamster, I know how you feel.

I know we're going to lose Diggor (cat) very soon and it is going to destroy me - He's 18 and a half years old and has lived here since I was a baby. I've never been without him and yet I'm going to lose him soon.

Rocco is old and acting it more and more every day, and it upsets me so much to know that he'll go within a few months.

It's killing me that Rainbow is terminal, because she doesn't act ill so it just shouldn't be happening :( But it is and I can't stop it.

I literally do my best every day to just enjoy spending the time with them I get, but I think it alwayas stays in the back of your mind

I had the same thing with peanut , and in a way i also grieved for him before he went and it was horrible.

You have to look at it from their perspective , she doesnt know time or space so she isnt aware. it is difficult though i know :( especially as you havent had much time with her, its so wrong.

x

I can only agree with all thats been said....your feelings are natural.....Ginger is living in the now & knows how much she is loved by you all.....she is fighting because she is happy and is secure where she is.....she will sense your worry....and your happiness....dont feel guilty for loving her...its normal feelings because you care so very much....big hugs she starts feeling bit better....and hugs...xxxx

I really don't know what to say because emotions are so complicated. I guess we know in our hearts when we know our most loved ones are ill that we have to face the worse. We try and prepare ourselves but it is never ever easy.

I really feel for you and so hope Ginger improves and continues for some time.

Do not feel guilty, Ginger is very much part of your family unit and you are bound to worry and think about what is ahead, you are a wonderful bunny dad and she could not be in a better home, she has a lovely husbun, mum and dad and lots to fight for, she is such a sweet little bun who has made you laugh and cry and from what I see loves her life and family as they love her.

Take each day at a time, and hold on to the good things, she is very lucky to have you and I think you should be proud of the love, care and great life you have given her.

I think like this about Grim all the time. :(
It's hard not to when you know it can happen too soon. But still there is no point thinking about it because if it does happen it will all go out of your mind.

Enjoy the good times, battle through the bad times. And if it does happen you and Biscuit will be there for each other (and your OH) and that's all that matters. That and you gave her an amazing and happy life.

Please don't feel bad Gray. I know it's not comparable to Ginger's ongoing illness but when Lola get's really ill with her dental disease and of later the URTI where she ended up in an oxygen box; I felt exactly how you are thinking and feeling right now. You have to think like this because there are what ifs with everything, you're giving a wonderful life and you want what's best for your buns. I hate thinking about it with my buns too, I feel so horrible and mad at myself for even contemplating the possibility. The bunnies mean so much and Lola is my life.

Go give Ginger a big snuggle and tell her how much you love her, although I'm pretty sure she already knows you love her to bits :) :love:

Hugs to you and nose rubs to the buns x

It must be so hard. Every time one of my buns gets ill I panic and fear the worst. Its so hard to think about. Your Ginger sounds like a happy little rabbit and that is the most important thing. The time you share with her now and caring for them both so well.

The thing is Graham what you have to remember is this, we all will face this at some point probably, I'm facing it atm with my dog, she is 12 this year and I know declining with old age, I can't change it, it's inevitable that unless we go before our pets we will have to endure the suffering of losing them at some point, I really maintain with any pet that it is quality over quantity and a lifetime of 8 years sat in a 4x2 hutch for a week of living Gingers life would be swapped in a flash by most rabbits, in the wild they are lucky to live to a year old - try and be a bit harsh with yourself about it because you will have to be strong and you need to keep upbeat and optimistic for her sake, they are so intuitive they really can sense things.

I never cry in front of my rabbits or my dog, they are too sensitive for that baggage i think - we are the ones they look to for protection, guidance and reassurance - you will know exactly what to do and you'll know exactly how to handle it and deal with it just like I will although I cannot imagine my life with out Lilly after 12 years of her being a permanent shadow :roll::lol:

It's really awful and I'm not being horrible - I just think you need to remain absolutely focussed on giving her the best possible life and almost forget about it - it always makes me wonder whether it's better to know or not? I knew for about 3 days before my other dog died that she was dying but, I knew when to call the vet out even though I thought I wouldn't.

Trust your instincts and be positive, everyday she has is a day to celebrate and she will still have 'off' days - my dog does but, the next day she is fine again. I know rabbits are different but, still try not to over analyse, relax and remember, she isn't afraid - she has nothing to fear:wave:

so sorry you are feeling bad.

everything that has been said is very true and i think we all think and feel this way as our pets get older or ill.
it's not awful to think about the next step but as everyone else says ginger is still living a great life so please don't be too hard on yourself or dwell on it too much.

It is a testament to your feelings and love for her that you feel this way! Don't beat yourself up over it. I knew in the last few weeks of having Mittens that she wasn't going to make it. We were at the vets every few daysntrying one more thing and it was torture looking at her, wondering if the next visit would be the last. I knew she could have carried on longer but she was eating constantly and her muscles were wasting away.

Try to concentrate on The good things at the moment. There will be plenty of time for these thoughts later. Don't waste the time you have left with her, cherish her and love her now. Tomorrow it might be too late.

Oh Graham, it's nothing to feel bad about at all - it's healthy & normal.
It's called pre emptive grieving & it's a way of managing the loss of someone very dear to us. Instead of having overwhelming pain when they die, we get rid of a bit of the pain beforehand.
It's important to be disciplined about it though - to have a time for grief but to come out of it & back into enjoying the present. Don't let it rob you of these precious last weeks.

I actually talked to my bunny about it when he was poorly last year. I said something like "You're the most fantastic friend I've ever had, I'm upset because humans live longer than bunnies, & I'm going to miss you so much when it's time for you leave me". Yeah I was crying, & you know he came up to me & liked away my tears.! Actually he was a bit shocked that they were salty at 1st!
I dunno- it somhow cleared the air between us, I wasn't so bottled up.

Back