• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bit of a dilemah...

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
Blossom was spayed yesterday (tuesday) and is doing great. Her appetite was compramised after but has been nibbling things happily. She eats a little of her pellets, some herbs but mostly red grapes. Because she eats the red grapes happily I feed her a few of these a day just to make sure she is eating as it is hard to keep an eye on her feeding when I'm at work (for obvious reasons) but I don't feed her too much as I dont want her tummy being effected badly. She wont touch hay at all. Strangely enough Thumper is doing the exact same as her, not eating much but he didn't have an operation, just went with her. They're both quite stressed and aren't very trusting around me right now, so trying to check Blossoms wound and giving her some Metacam is proving extremely stressful for her. She is very energetic and seems to be happy as anything, only thing that has changed since the op is her trust in me and her appetite. Should I stress her so she can have her meds or just leave her to it so she can really settle. She had her meds today but I'm planning not to give her them tomorrow. what are your views?

We need a bit more information about what the medication is for. If it happened to be something like eye drops I would say leave it tonight, but if she had a heart condition and needed something for that I would advise to give.

It is about weighing up the risk for giving as opposed to not giving. If it is just the metacam you dont say if they normally have it, you should have been told when to next give this as you do not want to leave your rabbit in pain.

We need a bit more information about what the medication is for. If it happened to be something like eye drops I would say leave it tonight, but if she had a heart condition and needed something for that I would advise to give.

It is about weighing up the risk for giving as opposed to not giving. If it is just the metacam you dont say if they normally have it, you should have been told when to next give this as you do not want to leave your rabbit in pain.

As stated in what I have written I got it from the vets after she had her spay. They don't usually give meds after the spay but I requested. They said how much but not for how long :/ I no she may be active because the painkillers that are in her system are stopping her from being uncomfortable, but I don't want to stress her more if I can help it, she won't take it from a syringe unless "forced" so I'm not sure where to go from here really. Her next dose would start tomorrow morning.

Back