• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

indoor pen

little-laura

Wise Old Thumper
hey guys I want to get a pen and have it indoors for my two instead of the cages they are currently in

what size pen is the best to use? what type? etc...

I have seen peoples set ups and am wondering

Links to places I could by them would be great too as long as its a respectable site I can trust buying from

Thank you

What space do you have available to you? Would it be plausible to allow buns free-range of a room, if bunny proofed?

I have to say, my dog crate is the best purchase i've ever made. It's a 48" crate, so ~4ft x 3ft and with a built in 2nd level, is a great base.

My setup is on here, search for 'Biscuit & Ginger - The Setup' and you'll find it.

What space do you have available to you? Would it be plausible to allow buns free-range of a room, if bunny proofed?

I have to say, my dog crate is the best purchase i've ever made. It's a 48" crate, so ~4ft x 3ft and with a built in 2nd level, is a great base.

My setup is on here, search for 'Biscuit & Ginger - The Setup' and you'll find it.

My OH wont allow free range because even if bunny proofed they could still damage carpet etc.... he said he would consider it when we own a property but not while were in rentals

plus in the flat were in atm we cant theres just not enough room and things were not allowed to remove everywhere

they are out most of the day anywho because I am at home full time now but the spare room has lots and lots of furniture and is so small and has wooden floors >_<

My OH wont allow free range because even if bunny proofed they could still damage carpet etc.... he said he would consider it when we own a property but not while were in rentals

plus in the flat were in atm we cant theres just not enough room and things were not allowed to remove everywhere

they are out most of the day anywho because I am at home full time now but the spare room has lots and lots of furniture and is so small

Okay, thats 100% fair enough. I live in rented accomodation also, but have free-range between 6:30am and midnight-ish every day, but thats just me.

Have a look into dog crates - they might be a good idea for you - not expensive, well, not in comparison to say, a Ferplast indoor rabbit cage (which are totally unsuitable for rabbits i hasten to add).

If you want any help, just ask - i spent ~£20 to make my 2nd level and did it all myself, and im rubbish at DIY.

Okay, thats 100% fair enough. I live in rented accomodation also, but have free-range between 6:30am and midnight-ish every day, but thats just me.

Have a look into dog crates - they might be a good idea for you - not expensive, well, not in comparison to say, a Ferplast indoor rabbit cage (which are totally unsuitable for rabbits i hasten to add).

If you want any help, just ask - i spent ~£20 to make my 2nd level and did it all myself, and im rubbish at DIY.

thank you ^_^ I shall probably be pestering you sometime soon about how to build the second level if I go with the create lol

thank you for that ^_^

what sizes do you guys think is best width and height wise?

My dogpen makes a 6ft1 x 2x2 or so pen and I think it's 4ft high. It's great! Me (and my buns) love it. Easy to clean too because the doors big so I can just sit in there to clean :lol:

My dogpen makes a 6ft1 x 2x2 or so pen and I think it's 4ft high. It's great! Me (and my buns) love it. Easy to clean too because the doors big so I can just sit in there to clean :lol:

with regards to pens do you have a net or something on top?

As.... Yuri is a jumper and boy she can jump

with regards to pens do you have a net or something on top?

As.... Yuri is a jumper and boy she can jump

Biscuit is also a jumper, and can easily do 4ft and scramble higher if he wanted to.

Thats why i went for the dog crate option - its 100% enclosed.

It is a bit harder to clean however, so each option has its pros and cons :)

Biscuit is also a jumper, and can easily do 4ft and scramble higher if he wanted to.

Thats why i went for the dog crate option - its 100% enclosed.

It is a bit harder to clean however, so each option has its pros and cons :)

yeah I get this image of yuri giving me this look as if to say "you think that can stop me" then jumping over it and going straight for my laptop cable which I hadent put out of reach yet.... ¬_¬

You could also consider getting a sideboard & converting it...;)
We will either cut squares into the doors and replace with mesh or NIC cubes....or just make new mesh doors....either or....you just need a decent size one that also has enough height to it so they are not squashed...and also enough depth so they can lay nicely.:p
We looking into this as it will be in our kitchen/dining room...so want it to look nice...I like the crates...but OH is not so keen..so this is now the plan. You could then possibly also get a run/pen to place next to the sideboard or crate to give them some play space when you cant supervise their free range time....:)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=263523 ;)

I still find bunnyproofing easier but I can understand not wanting to do that with carpet. I wouldn't be able to do it with carpet with my lionheads.

Trixie pens are great cos they are made of separate sections that fix together. And they fix onto dog crates easy with some cable ties. NIC panels are also good but expensive to make a big space from, though they do work well for bunnyproofing.

You could also consider getting a sideboard & converting it...;)
We will either cut squares into the doors and replace with mesh or NIC cubes....or just make new mesh doors....either or....you just need a decent size one that also has enough height to it so they are not squashed...and also enough depth so they can lay nicely.:p
We looking into this as it will be in our kitchen/dining room...so want it to look nice...I like the crates...but OH is not so keen..so this is now the plan. You could then possibly also get a run/pen to place next to the sideboard or crate to give them some play space when you cant supervise their free range time....:)

Hum that would find in with homes nicely and is a good idea but I am looking to build or get them something where they have plenty of space to run about because when I start working again I wont be home to let them out and run as much ...

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=263523 ;)

I still find bunnyproofing easier but I can understand not wanting to do that with carpet. I wouldn't be able to do it with carpet with my lionheads.

Trixie pens are great cos they are made of separate sections that fix together. And they fix onto dog crates easy with some cable ties. NIC panels are also good but expensive to make a big space from, though they do work well for bunnyproofing.

no where does nic cubes any more unfortunately....

If we owned our own place we wouldnt mind about the carpet so much but because its rentals we'd be in trouble lol

I had thought of attaching a dog create to a pen but didnt know if it would work hum..... I have alot to think about thank you

no where does nic cubes any more unfortunately....

If we owned our own place we wouldnt mind about the carpet so much but because its rentals we'd be in trouble lol

I had thought of attaching a dog create to a pen but didnt know if it would work hum..... I have alot to think about thank you

I think someone found some in B&Q? I'm sure I've seen something in recent posts about ordering them.

I have a photo of pen attached to dog crate that I used for a few days when we were away once...

Photo0161-vi.jpg

Photo0160-vi.jpg

Sorry they aren't great, was a tight squeeze and was using my mobile which shortens everything :roll: :oops:

I think someone found some in B&Q? I'm sure I've seen something in recent posts about ordering them.

I have a photo of pen attached to dog crate that I used for a few days when we were away once...

Photo0161-vi.jpg

Photo0160-vi.jpg

Sorry they aren't great, was a tight squeeze and was using my mobile which shortens everything :roll: :oops:

thanks for that ^_^

yeah I was a part of the nic cube threads b & q have them on their site but dont do them anymore.... you can only get them from the US and my god I looked into it and recoiled in pain 0_o its expensive to get them over here

I bought 'NIC' cubes from B&Q in Bristol 2 weeks ago. At the time there were none left in Wales (where we live anywhere) but we had the last three boxes from Bristol and there were some in Gloucester B&Q. Check the website to see if there's any near you.

The saels assistant said they were discontinuing them though!

Be quick ... :wave:

Back